Perfect Gift for Deer Hunter? Ideas Please

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Re: Perfect Gift for Deer Hunter? Ideas Please

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Another suggestion is a GPS. I don't see then need for one in midwest farm woodlots, but a lot of guys like them for the same reasons they like trail cams.

Now before you all dump on me again, I DID have a second hand GPS that someone gave me (for the car...plug in kind...). It was fun for the first few weeks and then it broke. I never bothered to fix it because I don't really need it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:52 pm

True enough. I use my hand held GPS a lot, but it is more of personal choice item. If is like a personal assistant, and I think most people would prefer to pick their own.
Last edited by kellory on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:26 pm

I would go with the trail cam. I prefer the bushnell trophy. I have three of them and haven't had any trouble with them. They are small ,,,, take AA batteries (either 4 or 8), I use 4 and get a whole season out of them. (Aug to Nov)
Doug

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:36 am

Trail cameras can be very useful and fun to use. I even figured out was eating up my garden last year, but a decent range finder is something that I never leave home without it. Pre-ranging trees is invaluable to accurate shot with a bow. One made for treestands would be my vote.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:13 am

The extra money paid for the range finder that measures the angle is not worth it for hunting from a stand. The difference in the shot from a 15 foot ladder stand out 30 yards is only 1 foot or less and that will not make any difference. :) :) More important is the angle the arrow enters and exits the deer. ;) ;)
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 am

I could see where a GPS could be a handy item for people hunting out West or on huge tracts of public land; but down here one would be useless. And it's about the same as far as a range finder goes. If I can see the deer, then I can hit it with the rifle, for the most part. The thing about trail cameras is you can actually become addicted to studying what's on your property. I can identify individual deer and it's fun to watch a buck as his rack develops from early spring, 'til he sheds his velvet. Plus, I can see what type of predators are harassing the deer and turkeys and where they are showing up regularly, then I know the best spots to set up my predator calls and decoys for some fun shooting. I also get to see who some of my trespassers are and where they are accessing my property so I can set up to intercept them, too.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

spencer

Postby spencer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:37 am

I feel the same way, Woods Walker. A camera is a nice idea, but most hunters I know aren't taking pictures too much. It probably would be better to get something practical, like a flannel jacket or an ear flap hat!!! :lol:

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:18 pm

You could always just him some Crown Royal. ;)
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MZS

Postby MZS » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Here is a fairly safe bet: Gift card for either Gander Mountain or Amazon. Maybe too late for an Amazon card, but if you have a GM near by, you could pick that up. I think anyone who is a hunter could make use of this. Buy some ammo or broadheads and whatever else.

Previous

Return to General Discussions