Bowhunter Newcomer

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
tjnelson

Bowhunter Newcomer

Postby tjnelson » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:58 am

I'm just starting to get into bowhunting. I haven't bought a bow yet still doing my research. I wanted to get some opinions on what I should shop around for. I want something that is going to last me a few years and not going to break my bank before purchasing bow and hunting accessories. I've talked to a couple guys about bows and they mentions PSE and Diamond. If those are good bow companies to start with what series should I look at?

Retranger

Re: Bowhunter Newcomer

Postby Retranger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Three years ago I was in your shoes. :) After years of rifle hunting I wanted to try bow. I checked around ,,,shot a couple at shops. I ended up buying the PSE stinger package.(ready to shoot) ;) I start shooting around June and shoot right up to bow season. Try to shoot a couple dozen arrows a day. I have yet to harvest a deer yet but I enjoy the bow. I think its a good deal for the money. ;)
Doug

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Understand, first, that as bent limb and a string will kill a deer, if your aim is good enough. It does not need to be the fastest, lightest, largest let off, bow on the market for the purpose. A used bow would be a good low priced starter, from Craig's list, or eBay. I have a few bows and a couple crossbow, but I have never paid for new. I use the same Indian Stalker bow I got as a gift for my birthday when I was 16. I am 50 now.that's 34 years with the same bow. Age does not make it feeble, it just makes it vintage.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Weekend Woodsmen

Postby Weekend Woodsmen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:05 pm

kellory wrote:Understand, first, that as bent limb and a string will kill a deer, if your aim is good enough. It does not need to be the fastest, lightest, largest let off, bow on the market for the purpose. A used bow would be a good low priced starter, from Craig's list, or eBay. I have a few bows and a couple crossbow, but I have never paid for new. I use the same Indian Stalker bow I got as a gift for my birthday when I was 16. I am 50 now.that's 34 years with the same bow. Age does not make it feeble, it just makes it vintage.

Couldn't agree more, I bought a new Diamond a few years ago after using the bow that was given to me by my shop teacher in 7th grade (I am now 26). I have taken many deer with my old bow and a few with my new one. I like my Diamond, but the cams are SUPER aggressive, you almost have to push the string down to get it let let down and then of course you have to then catch 70lbs so that isn't fun! I think for your first bow something like a diamond or a PSE would be good, but like kellory said, if you can get a used one as a starter, get it! My buddy bought a PSE Sinister this year and just recently got his first buck with it...all said and done, I actually like the PSE better than my Diamond, quieter and a little smoother, but still pretty aggressive cams, but you also pay a little more for them. I found this article VERY helpful in making my decision and also understanding all that goes into compounds bows. After reading this hopefully it will make you feel more comfortable about the different tradeoffs at each price point. http://www.huntersfriend.com/compound_b ... page4.html

Welcome to the sport it is an amazing past time (obsession)!

tjnelson

Postby tjnelson » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks fellas. I shot the Diamond Outlaw and Bear Attitude at Cabelas. The Bear felt really nice. 27" draw and 60# draw weight. Wanted to shoot the PSE Brute but they were out of stoke. Going to go back in a couple weeks to test out the PSE Brute. Luckily I'm not in a rush for this season so I'll have a little bit of time to get the bow and slowly get some other knick-knacks. Preciate the advice again guys! Happy Hunting and Thanksgiving to y'all!
Cheers

Weekend Woodsmen

Postby Weekend Woodsmen » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:29 pm

tjnelson wrote:Thanks fellas. I shot the Diamond Outlaw and Bear Attitude at Cabelas. The Bear felt really nice. 27" draw and 60# draw weight. Wanted to shoot the PSE Brute but they were out of stoke. Going to go back in a couple weeks to test out the PSE Brute. Luckily I'm not in a rush for this season so I'll have a little bit of time to get the bow and slowly get some other knick-knacks. Preciate the advice again guys! Happy Hunting and Thanksgiving to y'all!
Cheers

My Diamond is an Outlaw, I forgot to saw what kind of diamond in the previous post. Also I heard that Bear has limb issues...that comes from the folks at my local Gander Mountain. I know they are cheaper, but from what I have heard it is a get what you pay for. Definitely ask about whether the guys you are working with have had positive/negative experiences with the limbs cracking on a Bear. While my buddy was picking up his PSE Sinister, someone was there picking up their Bear after getting the limb replaced...

Jeff Craddock

Postby Jeff Craddock » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 am

Different accessories are required in bowhunting, a well-tuned hunting bows are one of the most important accessory. Another are Arrows, Soft case, Broadheads, Lubricant, Sharpening tool, Wax, Glue.

Cajun

Postby Cajun » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:55 pm

This post touched on my question as well. Long time deer hunter, but never with a bow and would also very much like to get into bow hunting...

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:40 pm

Cajun wrote:This post touched on my question as well. Long time deer hunter, but never with a bow and would also very much like to get into bow hunting...

You'll love it! More time to hunt, and because you will not have a shot at just about every deer you see, you get to WATCH them and you'll be amazed at what you'll learn just by that.

Two things.....

1. Get your bow NOW and start shooting it......a lot. Archery is all about form and MUSCLE MEMORY. When you get to the point where you can go through you're entire shooting sequence (draw/anchor/aim/release/follow through) without consciously thinking about it, then you're ready. Then it's 100% CONCENTRATION on the molecule you've picked as "the spot".

2. Study and learn deer anatomy like you've never done before. The biggest difference between bowhunting and firearm hunting is shot placement. For example, with a rifle or shotgun slug blowing through a front shoulder on a quartering to shot is not even a concern save for the increased meat damage. With a bow it's a big no-no, and while deer are killed this way it's also a great way to hone tracking skills because you'll be doing a LOT of it, and usually without a deer at the end of it.

Please feel free to ask away with ANY questions you may have.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:18 am

"You'll love it! More time to hunt, and because you will not have a shot at just about every deer you see, you get to WATCH them and you'll be amazed at what you'll learn just by that." quote... Woodswalker

THAT is the first thing that I noticed when I started bowhunting. I observed more undisturbed deer behavior in the first year of bow hunting than ever before with a gun.

Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting