Dog Drive Doe, deer #9 this season.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Dog Drive Doe, deer #9 this season.

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:58 am

Friday morning while on a dog drive, I was sitting in the swamp when about 9:15 I heard deer coming through the water and busting brush. I spotted three does at about 75 yards and they weren't wasting any time getting the hell out of Dodge. I picked a spot about 45 yards away where there was a clearing and sure enough when they hit it I let the Remington 1100 unleash a load of Winchester SuperX 2 3/4" 00 buckshot at the largest one. At the shot all three did a complete 180, but I could tell I'd hit the biggest one, so a let loose another round and she slid nose first into the dirt. The other two had sped up to mach1 speed by that time, and with the brush and white tails quickly making an escape I didn't get an opportunity to shoot again. About 20 minutes later the dogs finally made it through and after a few minutes to sort out the trail, they took off after the two that escaped. The last time I heard the dogs, they were going out of hearing and were in the next county. After staying in the woods for a while longer, and not hearing any more dogs, I called to the guy on the next stand over and got him to come help me. I trudged back through the swamp to where I'd parked my Yamaha and after negotiating the water and the downed trees, made it back to the spot where he and the deer were. We loaded her and then I worked my way out of the swamp, very carefully, and finally made it to the skinning shed. Travis took some pictures, then we unloaded and weighed the doe before skinning and gutting it. She weighed in at 130 lbs, which is pretty good for a swamp donkey. Now we only have 'til Jan. 1st, left in this season, and those days will be spent running the hounds and being in the swamp. Image
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

FlDeerman64

Re: Dog Drive Doe, deer #9 this season.

Postby FlDeerman64 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 am

Doe meat is the best.Congratulations.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:41 am

Congratulations on a nice doe. I've been meaning to ask you about using buckshot on a deer and how it effects the meat. I'm from a shotgun slug state so I only have to worry about where one piece of lead goes. I've gut shot a few deer over the years and I consider it unpleasant at best and a waste of some meat or loss of the deer at worst.
I do understand the difficulty of shooting running deer and in a swamp and the merits of using buckshot in that situation, but do a lot of deer end up being gut shot inadvertently from multiple pellets?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:31 am

Occasionally some buckshot might hit a portion of the gut; but since we haul the deer to our skinning shed, there is very little loss of meat due to the method used for skinning and butchering. This particular doe was hit on both sides with the shots due to her reversing direction after the first shot. I pulled a total of 8 pellets from underneath the hide from the first shot, but the second shot was all confined to the shoulder and a few ribs. . Luckily none of the guts, rumen, or stomach were damaged and one stray pellet broke the left rear leg just below the hamhock. The lungs, and heart were totally destroyed.
I hang my deer for a maximum of one week in a walk-in cooler, then I take the tenderloins, shoulders and back straps all the way through the neck off, saw the backbone off below the pelvis and split the pelvis so that the two hams are separated. I don't keep the ribs, and during the gutting part I trim the portion that would be bacon if it were a pig, off of the carcass, so any portion that might have gut contents is eliminated immediately.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 am

Thanks for the explanation. I guess it just seem foreign to me because I've never used buckshot... or dogs, for that matter. I imagine if I had grown up in SC I'd enjoy it just as much. Good luck on #10
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to General Discussions