What kind of knife do you have?

PrairieShadow

RE: What kind of knife do you have?

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 am

Spyderco bill moran series. Best knifes on the market in my opinion.

I also like old timers and columbia river knife and tool as well.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

tedicast

Postby tedicast » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:48 pm

In the field, I carry a Buck 110 that my wife bought me about 15 years ago. I also carry a Wyoming knife for unzipping a deer.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:08 pm

I have three that I carry on a regular basis.  I have a folding buck knife that is ok, then I have a they cutco sportsmans knife and cutco drop point knife.  The Cutco knives are hands down the best knives I have EVER used!  I use them all season and send them back after the season along with my Cutco filet knife.  I typically dress the deer with the two knives and skin it with the filet knife.  Just to give you an idea on the blade, I shot a deer last friday during gun season and realized I forgot my bone saw for the pelvis, I used the cutco knife and was still able to open the chest cavity like a zipper without any pressure! 

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:58 am

I use a Winchester fixed blade with a guthook. It is a little big but for 20 dollars, it has done well for me. Been using it for 4 years now.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:12 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

I`m a knife junkie. I have multiple Gerber`s, Browning`s lying around. I have the Outdoor Edge White-Tail skinner, I have a beautiful Cabela`s Alaskan Guide that Buck made with the guthook. Probably my very favorite knife though, is a Cutco, hunter orange handle knife that is without a doubt, the sharpest blade I`ve ever used. It made field dressing so easy due to the sharpness, it was almost crazy. You have to be so careful handling this knife it`s a chore remembering to slow down doing the gutting. It will cut you to the bone.

I have a Cutco fillet knife that is one of the best pieces of gear I own. I rarely carry it in the field but I do use it to cut and trim venison with.

lately my carry of choice is a lock blade by Leupold. It came with a pair of binocs I bought. The knife included to sweeten the deal I guess. Good steel, holds an edge well and I like the optics too.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 pm

good ole shrade sharpfinger. takes and holds an awesome edge feels great in the hand.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:31 pm

The knife that I carry into the field is the most sentimental thing I own.  It was my fathers Buck knife.  He died almost 8 years ago.

Believe it or not, but my high school grad present was a handmade knife that has a very small piece of madtodon tusk in the handle.  I'm sure that was the most expensive part of the knife.  You can find mastodon tusk fossils on ebay, so I believe it's legit.

I also have a Gerber knife that I found in the mountains of Wyoming.  Someone must have left it by a gut pile.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:34 pm

I have an Edgemark skinning knife made in Solingen, Germany with a stag horn handle. It was given to me by my father with no explination. There is a 53 stamped on the blade. I wonder if that is when it was made?

It may be the finest skinning knife ever made (i may be a little partial). It rests in the hand like it is a natural part of you and the blade will hold a surgical edge.

I should post a picture of it sometime. I'd like to see if anyone knows anything about it. 

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:07 am

I use a little Case folder(not sure what model) but it has a couple features I really like.  For one, it has a long and thin blade which helps when 'coring' the 'rear door' as I don't break the pelvis.  Secondly, it has a yellow handle so when I set it down I have no trouble locating it again.  I picked it up on a close out for $10 about 3 years ago, it normally retails for around $30-35.  It holds a excellent edge for 2-3 deer before honing with a Lansky kit.
The handle material is soft enough that I engraved my initials plus I place a small nick on the edge for each deer I harvest then ran a black permanent marker over this etching wiping off the excess.  It helps jog the memory when approaching 50 years old and also stops 'the creep'(my stuff ending up in my son's possession).

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:42 am

ORIGINAL: beagleman23

I use a little Case folder(not sure what model) but it has a couple features I really like.  For one, it has a long and thin blade which helps when 'coring' the 'rear door' as I don't break the pelvis.  Secondly, it has a yellow handle so when I set it down I have no trouble locating it again.  I picked it up on a close out for $10 about 3 years ago, it normally retails for around $30-35.  It holds a excellent edge for 2-3 deer before honing with a Lansky kit.
The handle material is soft enough that I engraved my initials plus I place a small nick on the edge for each deer I harvest then ran a black permanent marker over this etching wiping off the excess.  It helps jog the memory when approaching 50 years old and also stops 'the creep'(my stuff ending up in my son's possession).

Hey beagleman,

You might want to retire that knife if its an older case. Some guys will pay top buck for case knives.  I'd at least check it out if i were you.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

PreviousNext

Return to Misc. Accessories