What is it that you HAVE to do?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Re: What is it that you HAVE to do?

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:27 am

Very sorry for your loss Deebz. Those memories that you have are exactly what I want my grandson to have of me. Life is a circle.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 am

Ohio I missed this thread also and oletimer I’m with you!! I am living and filling my bucket.

What is it I have to do???????

I think I have done it!! I didn’t have a bucket with a list of things to do, I did things and put them in the bucket. I was a Forest Ranger in northern NY state for 30 plus years. The top three responsibilities ,,,, Search and Rescue ,,,,, Forest Fire Control ,,,, and Law Enforcement. During my career I participated in over 200 search or rescue missions, some alone and many with my co-workers, some having a very happy ending and others not so happy, but in all of them we were helping people. Has I progressed through my career I gained knowledge in many fields which I was able to pass on to the younger generation, both in our agency and to the public at large serving as an instructor in many fields.
I introduced many through the years to hunting and fishing, stressing the fact that just being involved was the important thing and actually harvesting was frosting on the cake.
Like oletimer we are now spending our winter months in a warmer climate and helping folks when we can.
I enjoy helping folks when I can and get great satisfaction from it, but find it very disturbing to think that folks feel that they have to give you money for your effort. I always refuse and insist that they just pass it forward!!!! :) :)
Doug

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Deebz, is that your new daughter? She is beautiful. She is going to change your lives in so many wonderful ways. (except for the lack of sleep).
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:41 am

That is my daughter, Oaklyn. She's been amazing so far. I think we lucked out, everybody told us how much sleep we were going to lose, but she's already sleeping all night long.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:24 pm

Deebz, I am happy and sad for you. you have a beautiful little girl, do they know if she has mom's bone problem?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:20 am

We haven't had her tested or anything...we figure if she has it there's nothing to do but deal with it. However, she doesn't show any of the tell-tale physical manifestations of the bone issue... time will tell. My wife was 4 months when she broke her first bone, and Oaklyn will be 4 months in about 2 weeks.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 am

Deebz, I am very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. She sounds like an amazing person I would like a lot.

You have a beautiful daughter! I am feeling particularly ancient in my 39 years now, as my daughter is 18. I did not know your wife had a bone problem, I am sorry to hear and I hope she's recovered/managing well. I have spine issues, and my daughter ended up with scoliosis. Not horrific by any means, but noticeable if she leaned over and you looked at her back. 18 degrees up top, 12 on the bottom. But kids are so resilient! She actually healed about three degrees of that curvature as she grew. :-) She is just fine with a 15 degree curve and ten on the bottom. So I guess all I am trying to say is that it's amazing how things end up OK.

Have you gotten her some baby hunting clothes yet? :-) I want to sponsor the Fisher Price "My First 870" and the Tonka "F-150 with a deer in the back" playsets. Hehehe.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Ha! She definitely has several outfits in camo, and one of our friends got her an orange fuzzy vest.

My wife's bone issue is called Osteogenesis Imperfecta, or more commonly called Brittle Bone Disease. She's had well over 100 broken bones in her lifetime. She's actually really lucky in that she only has Type 1. The most severe is Type 4, and it's not uncommon for Type 4 babies to not survive birth. We basically lead a normal life, while paying a lot more attention to preventing slips and falls. This snow storm we're having will make life rough for a while.

As far as inheritience goes it's pretty much a 50/50 shot whether a child will have OI. My wife has 2 brothers and a sister, and she is the only one who exhibits the disease. Her mother does as well. So it's just a waiting game, but I'm not worried. :D

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 pm

That sounds scary though, Deebs. But ask my kids, I over-fuss about everything when it comes to kids. I think you have a great attitude about it, however. And I did finally learn that exibiting fear over stuff that you worry about for your kids only causes fear in them.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Retranger wrote:Ohio I missed this thread also and oletimer I’m with you!! I am living and filling my bucket.

What is it I have to do???????

I think I have done it!! I didn’t have a bucket with a list of things to do, I did things and put them in the bucket. I was a Forest Ranger in northern NY state for 30 plus years. The top three responsibilities ,,,, Search and Rescue ,,,,, Forest Fire Control ,,,, and Law Enforcement. During my career I participated in over 200 search or rescue missions, some alone and many with my co-workers, some having a very happy ending and others not so happy, but in all of them we were helping people. Has I progressed through my career I gained knowledge in many fields which I was able to pass on to the younger generation, both in our agency and to the public at large serving as an instructor in many fields.
I introduced many through the years to hunting and fishing, stressing the fact that just being involved was the important thing and actually harvesting was frosting on the cake.
Like oletimer we are now spending our winter months in a warmer climate and helping folks when we can.
I enjoy helping folks when I can and get great satisfaction from it, but find it very disturbing to think that folks feel that they have to give you money for your effort. I always refuse and insist that they just pass it forward!!!! :) :)

That sounds wonderful! In what fields do you instruct? I am always wanting to learn something new, especially if it relates to the outdoors!

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic