muzzleloader accuracy problems

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
yamazinger

muzzleloader accuracy problems

Postby yamazinger » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:31 pm

New to muzzleloading, but i picked up a traditions .50 inline and have put about 15 rounds through it so far and is consistent with its inaccuracy after 2 to 3 shots from a clean gun. I am shooting hornady sabots and using 70grains of pyrodex powder. My problem is that i can shoot usually 2 or 3 shots damn near through the same hole when i first get to the range then all of the sudden the accuracy goes way down. I have been running a patch down the barrel each shot and i do not change anything. Do you think i should bring a wire brush and run that through the barrel as well? i just dont understand how it can shoot terribly all of the sudden and stay that way. it makes it impossible to sight the scope in.

Ohio farms

Re: muzzleloader accuracy problems

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am

Is it possible that you are not seating the round all the way? Muzzleloaders can be fussy at times, but swabbing after each shot should help keep the accuracy. Hopefully somebody will come up with an idea to help you. Good luck
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:18 pm

I have just gotten a muzzleloader myself.
What I have heard is the plastic sabot can foul the rifling of the barrel.
I don`t have first hand experience for you I bought a CVA and am using there recommended ammo for now.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Here is a site for a fellow that is on the T&TH forum that is an in to shooting http://www.allaboutshooting.com Contact him and I am sure you will get some help. ;)
Doug

Return to Guns and Ammo