Looking for a cheap but effective range finder

relentless_hunter_12

Looking for a cheap but effective range finder

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm looking for a cheap but effective range finder, mostly for bow hunting, but it would be nice for an all around range finder also, any help?
"Hunting is not just a hobby, It's a lifestyle"

greatbowhunting

Re: Looking for a cheap but effective range finder

Postby greatbowhunting » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:05 pm

There is a bow mounted one called the Dead On Rangefinder. It adjusts for any draw length and for any animal and is priced below $25.00. Nikon puts out good ones like Archers Choice or Pro Staff. Wildgame Innovations has the Halo Laser Rangefinder that has a scan mode which allows you to actively range multiple targets without re-setting the laser. Check out the site www.greatbowhunting.com for more ideas. Remember though you get what you pay for. Cheap isn't always the way to go. Reasonably priced with the features you need, is a better way to look at it. Good luck, Bill & Janet

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:27 pm

i use the bushnell arc series. they compensate for angle and drop. Tree stand angles make an impact on yardage, not a great impact, but still some. Nikon archers choice is nice too, but restricts you to 100 yards. My bushnell arc can range to 1000 yards, but if you have ever tried to range something at 1000 yards, its nearly impossible. Plus.. I would say my max effective range with a gun is about 250 yards anyway. Its nearly impossible to even think of shooting something that far where I hunt in PA. I like the up close and personal stuff anyway. So although I havent necessarily answered your question... when you are looking for models you can take into account my own experiences. Honestly, the only time I have mine is when I hang a stand. I use landmarks.. trees, bushes, rocks, etc. to mark off yardage. Once I do that, I make a little drawing til I remember it and thats all the more I use my range finder. By sept. its back in my drawer.

JayBird

Postby JayBird » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:45 pm

I have the Bushnell Scout ARC 1000. I got it for $300 at cabelas with a DVD, Knife, and cheap Binoculars. It is a really good overall rangefinder for bow or Rifle. Easy to use, easy to read. I didn't realize how much I would use a rangefinder until I bought one. Now I use it for all my target practice, as well as hunting applications.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:47 pm

This managed to get pushed to page 10
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to Optics