Give Indiana DNR A Piece Of Your Mind

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
allthingswhitetail

Give Indiana DNR A Piece Of Your Mind

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:54 pm

I learned about a link today to provide Indiana DNR feedback on recommended changes. Below is the link to my blog that includes how to get to the INDNR feedback page. In addition, I've included my feedback submitted.

If you hunt Indiana, please take the time to give the agency feedback. I don't know if this will help or not, but it is worth a shot!

http://www.allthingswhitetail.com/atw-blog.html

Thanks,

Andy

shaman

Re: Give Indiana DNR A Piece Of Your Mind

Postby shaman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 am

Andy! Son, put down the shotgun and step away. I'm sure we can work this out.

I understand y'all didn't see too many deer this year, but I really don't see why we need to march on the Capital with your manifesto in hand. I understand that IN in general has been hit with EHD. The worst of it was down by Evansville However, in your own immediate area, did you actually see dead deer? If you've ever been around an EHD or Blue Tongue outbreak, you know it. The deer don't just disappear the way you describe, you've got bloated smelly carcasses around water sources. You SMELL EHD. I think you are just speculating and frankly, you need to get away from the screen for a bit and shake those panties loose. Remember too, even if YOU got hit with EHD, there was no big sign of it over by me. Switzerland and Ohio Counties did not have it. Why should SE IN shut down seasons because SW IN has trouble?

Let's go through this point by point:

1. Eliminate the Special Antlerless Season

Why? Just because you didn't see many doe this season you want to stop a statewide doe hunt? I think we covered this in a previous thread. There are all kinds of reasons deer disappear from the property. Best guess is poachers.

2. Reduce the length of the firearms season.

Andy, I was a bowhunter for 25 years. I loved it. Now I'm a middle-aged rifle-hunter. I never was a bow snob, and sure not one now. You know, by your way of thinking, the squirrel hunters should be able to get a petition together and get deer hunting banned entirely. How would you like that? No. We need to open up the woods to more people, not shut it down just for you and the other bow jockeys.

3. Reduce the number of antlerless deer limits for each county.

See #1 above. Andy didn't see a doe this year, so now he wants the state to rig it so he does.

4. Adopt some of the QDMA Principles and Practices.

I do not see why we need to make state laws just so a few antler junkies can have their jollies. You know there are a lot of people in this sport, not just guys who want a rack. Some hunt for meat. Some hunt just for the fun of it. The last thing I want to do when I go out is take a tape measure with me. if you want to practice QDMA, go find 300 acres and have at it. Not everyone buys into it.

5. Open up a year around season on coyotes.

This is a good idea, but rather than making this the last item of a vitriolic manifesto, why not focus on this idea and run with it by itself. Get focused. Do something reachable. Along the way, you may learn something about state politics and actually add to the conversation.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 am

It stinks in Iowa also. BUT,
I think we forget just how solitary a deer really is unless the weather is brutally cold and the food is scarce.(I still do`nt understand that behavior but oh well) Now where I hunted this year was a 33ac chunk with around 80% white oak timber one of the best neighborhoods in Iowa, HUGE acorn drop this year and borders the middle of a 800ac QDMA managed property no other neighbors kill everything that walks, they are all hunting for a freezer and wall filler. sounds good yeah?

Well it WAS`NT a 190" non typical was killed out of this property 3 years ago and numerous sightings of 150 to 180" IS EXPECTED every year.. nothing zip zero nada yesterday was the 3rd sighting of a "mature" (i call them big) deer and thanks to a bad 209 primer i do`nt have the picture to show you. it was hammered by EHD the year before with the large landowner reporting 62 deer killed in 2010 & 2011.

But after the hunt yesterday the first thing a buddy and i said to each other. man! did you see all the deer tracks?! it was really exciting to see actually. relief that there were still deer around. but very few of the tracks in the snow were more than a single deer. they are actually in a better position this year than years past if you ask me. there is FOOD everywhere and that means less stress, less stress means way more twins born and whallah! there deer numbers bounce back as long as we get some RAIN in the summer and that my Friend is not in our control.

as far as regulating this issue goes I would rather let nature do it. I don`t trust that the decisions made will benefit me or anyone. I know the laws we have now I don`t want a huge load of regs printed in the new rulebook next year that for what i can see no one reads anyway. besides the word is out there are no deer around. if most hunters have to work their butts off to kill a deer they will stay home and taking a bunch of roadside hunters out of the mix will help numbers too.

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 am

We have to protect the does.....I'm sure you understand the biology around it. You only need a few bucks to breed numerous does. I'm not speculating on how much the herd numbers are down. I've seen it from the stand, trail camera picks, driving to and from work, talking with fellow bow hunters and even gun hunters. It is scary how much the herd numbers have dropped. It reminds me of the 70's and 80's.

I'm not a bow snob and respect the fact that in the future I might have to use a gun like others. My gun cabinet is full. I also respect the fact that many hunters prefer guns vs. bow. What scares me is with the herd reduced seeing future pictures of gun hunter camps with deer stacked up.

Manifesto....maybe. I don't think QDMA isn't for antler junkies. QDM is about a balanced herd. That includes bucks of all age ranges and an appropriate number of does. If the numbers are up, QDM suggests taking more does. That is where the State should have been in years past. Now with the numbers down, the State needs to move to the other end of the spectrum.
Last edited by allthingswhitetail on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 am

I forgot to mention....I posted the link so everyone would comment. You've seen my take on it. My hope is that everyone will send a comment regardless of your personal stance. It is kind of like voting....you can't complain if you don't vote. You shouldn't complain about the DNR if you are not voicing your opinion. Now is the opportunity to let your voice be heard, no matter if I agree with you or not.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:11 am

I forgot to mention the DNR here did try to cut the january antlerless season in Iowa a few years back because they did see a problem with the herd size, but the Governor overruled that decision, Most think it was because of pressure from the Farm Bureau And the Insurance lobby. My guess is they will keep pretty quiet this year on whatever regs the DNR comes up with. So
If GOV Pence did anything like that yes he needs a butt chewing like our GOV.

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:22 am

It never hurts to let the DNR know what you have been observing. Tell them how many times you have been out, and how many deer you saw. If you drive often at night, let them know your observations. This type of info, although not very scientific, may lead to them coming out to your specific area and doing some more controlled surveys. It is very helpful to them. A good place to start is a given feedback form, if there is one. Then also contact your local DNR biologist, and you can also send an email or letter to your state-level biologist. And when you contact them, leave any accusations of anyone out - that is the fast track to getting your information filed in the circular file - just give them your observations of deer numbers and politely request that they investigate this further.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:17 am

There are a lot of states in trouble with their deer herds. Illinois gun harvest this past season was down 25%. They are talking about evaluating each county and taking what ever action is necessary. I don't know about other states, but when you consider the losses from EHD, the fawn kill from coyotes, and in Illinois, the excessive amount of deer permits handed out, it all takes it's toll. It will be interesting to see what Illinois is going to do. I know a few deer hunters that were unhappy and said last season was bad and this season was ever worse.

I also heard Wisconsin's buck harvest was down 15%.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:04 pm

shaman wrote:5. Open up a year around season on coyotes. [/b]

This is a good idea, but rather than making this the last item of a vitriolic manifesto, why not focus on this idea and run with it by itself. Get focused. Do something reachable. Along the way, you may learn something about state politics and actually add to the conversation.

Here in Virginia there is already a continuous open season on coyotes. We can hunt them day or night, by any means, but the coyotes ain't going away.

We may have to call in the Marines to thin out the coyotes, and I'm not joking. Coyotes are probably the reason the deer are so thin in Indiana. Here they seem to have had a larger impact on Turkeys than on the deer, but turkey hunters aren't going to go out at night to shoot coyotes, they seldom ever hunt turkey during the fall season, and prefer the sunrise to 11:00 am spring gobbler schedule.

Yippi CoyiYote, shoot more coyote.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 pm

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/faqs/39/hunting-strategy.html#
someone asked about the Illinois problem here.
if we think we see a problem i guess it is time to get active in the buildings of government, no one can hear us complain in the woods.
he had the GOV out yesterday for a hunt I hope he really got to voice his thoughts.

Deer numbers are down no doubt but it is NOT an unhuntable herd by any stretch of the imagination it just takes a lot more work and some days you won`t see anything from your stand. I don`t enjoy any part of that but NATURE has taken it`s course to reduce the numbers, at least here in Iowa. this year we could have massive flooding that wipes out crops next to our honey holes so whatever you do in your states be careful what you wish for the wheels of government have ground good ideas to dust before.

Next

Return to General Discussions