Anyone finding sheds yet?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
charlie 01

Re: Anyone finding sheds yet?

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:13 am

Retranger wrote:Didn't mean to make you a lot of work charlie. Was just wondering if you knew something I didn't. Before I retired I used to work the deer check stations once in a while during hunting season aging deer. I remember checking several deer that looked similar, but be different ages and come from different areas. :)

It's no work at all Doug. I can see where you are coming from, seeing all those deer at the check stations, and I can agree on similarities. I find that deer antlers are for the most part, like finger prints, all different. But deer antlers from the same deer are noticeably the same. There are exceptions, a sticker here and there that changes year to year, drop-tines that come and go, and even points that come and go from year to year, and deer injuries causing deformities. But when you find look-a-likes within a few hundred yards from last years find, there is no doubt they are from the same deer. When you see them side by side you will agree.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

1911p

Postby 1911p » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:18 pm

That's a nice looking shed Charlie. He'll be a trophy pretty soon.

I haven't gone out looking for sheds yet. Saturday is the last day of bear season, and I'll probably get out poke around some and look for a shed or two, but won't seriously go looking until turkey season comes back in on the 11th of January. I know where half a dozen bucks were rubbing this season, so I should find a few once they drop.

Dinkus

Postby Dinkus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:50 pm

No sheds found yet, but there should be some on our place. We killed 2 bucks last week that had dropped their horns and saw another buck that only had one.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:56 am

Doug, here are those pics I promised. Now considering that these antlers were found a few hundred yards from the ones from last year, and with the resemblance, they have to be the same deer. The right top one and the left top one are from last year. The right top one scored 79 3/8. I think he was at his peak last year. There is a noticeable drop in his antler size for this year meaning that he is regressing. Why, that's always a mystery and can be brought on by many factors.
IMG_3022-2.jpg
IMG_3022-2.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 578 times
IMG_3018-1.jpg
IMG_3018-1.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 578 times
never say never

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am

I've seen and heard of bucks regressing in antler size as they age. Do you think this specific buck could simply have less bone this year due to the drought conditions causing less nutrition being available during the antler growing phase?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 pm

I don't know about IL., but here in VA there were hardly any acorns this year. In the past, larger racks were always associated with lots of acorns.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Deebz wrote:I've seen and heard of bucks regressing in antler size as they age. Do you think this specific buck could simply have less bone this year due to the drought conditions causing less nutrition being available during the antler growing phase?

I guess anything is possible Deebz. I have video of him so I know he hasn't been hurt and does seem to be healthy. The one thing that is somewhat baffling to me is the fact that his antler bases under the bur seem small (1 1/4) across. When you see a rack this size you automatically think of an older deer, and older bucks generally have large pedicle bases. But when it comes to nature nothing is cut in stone.
never say never

Previous

Return to General Discussions