Veterans Day Dream - 10 Point

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
dpshaver

Veterans Day Dream - 10 Point

Postby dpshaver » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:21 am

While hunting on a very cold 2013Veterans Day morning with a Savage Muzzleloader the flashy horns were seen walking through the pines by my 73 year old handicapped dad. I got the gun up and ready while looking through my Nikon binoculars and saw horns coming toward an opening. I said; “Wow he has tall points”. When he stepped out rubbing his horns in the tree branches; I asked "Dad, what do you think”? He replied; “I don't know what you are waiting on because I would have already pulled the trigger”. I hesitated because I had my heart set on a drop tine buck seen on trail cams several times. I pondered on it for a moment; with my dad saying “well what are you going to do?” So I took aim and fired on the nice buck at 126 yards. The buck donkey kicked and ran into the woods. Then questioning myself I asked dad if he saw him in the binoculars anywhere. He replied “He couldn't see anything”; he was shaking so bad with excitement. We both started laughing and enjoying the moment. I said; “well I wonder why he ran off?” My dad, laughing said well where were you aiming? I replied you know I always shoot for the shoulder unless with a bow. Dad said well you hit him somewhere because he kicked up before he ran. I remember saying thanks a lot…and we started laughing again. I wasn’t shook up like he was but had concern as to why he ran off. Thinking and pondering on my shot; other bucks started coming in and I said be quiet dad because he was still snickering at me…there’s another nice buck coming…what is it? He said look at me I can’t see anything and he was still shaking so bad he couldn’t hold still. I text my husband and son telling them I had shot a nice one but it ran and my husband Lynn told me to wait an hour. I thought has he lost his mind? This isn’t a bow hunt. So while waiting we enjoyed seeing other bucks and does come through; one making a scrape. After a good forty-five minutes passed I couldn't wait out any longer telling my dad lets go. Still laughing and enjoying the moment we headed to the spot. No blood. I began to get nervous so I started toward the woods looking. No blood. Knowing I am not a bad shot and the Hornady Bullet has never let me down before; I said to myself he has to be near and looking up I saw brown and down only about 70 yards away...Whooo-Hooo...I began to shout. My handicapped father got there as fast as he could and we both were having a blast of excitement. I had text my husband & son earlier. They were blowing my phone up texting to hear the news. In the meantime my husband and mom were on their way; then unexpectedly my US Marine son face timed me on our IPhones and he was able to join in on the excitement, looking at my buck, laughing, bragging on me and enjoying the moment with us. What a Veterans Day! Celebrating with my Marine son stationed in Israel on our IPhones plus my 73 yr. old dad with the biggest buck I've ever taken. Then my husband & mom drove up and the fun began all over again. A very blessed lifetime experience that I'll never forget!!!

Ten point with 2 stickers that green scored 153 ¼” and was 21 1/2” inside spread weighing 197 lbs.
P1010234.JPG
P1010234.JPG (834.05 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

rthomas4

Re: Veterans Day Dream - 10 Point

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 am

Wow! What a great story and an even better buck! Congrats to you and give your son a big "thank you" for his service. I know you're a proud mom......and huntress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Good Job. I resized it so we can see it better. Thank you to your son!!!
Attachments
P1010234 (Copy).JPG
P1010234 (Copy).JPG (101.08 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Doug

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Congratulations on a really great buck. My biggest buck was taken on Veteran's Day 2010. Thank your son for his service for me.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Very nicely done, and an impressive buck. And tell your son "Thank you for your service." ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 am

Great buck,,really wide:

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:07 am

Your words took me on the hunt with you! What a great one it was and a very nice buck. Congrats and let your son know he's appreciated back at home...Nicely done!
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Return to Photo Corner