New Hunter Needs Advice

stillcallsmeson

New Hunter Needs Advice

Postby stillcallsmeson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 pm

Hey everyone. I'm new to deer hunting and am trying to decide which route to go: purchase a bow or a shotgun combo. I understand a bow may be more expensive, and bowhunting is more challenging, but I am torn between the two. What would be a smart move on my part as a new hunter? I'd appreciate some input from some veteran hunters. Thanks!

Retranger

Re: New Hunter Needs Advice

Postby Retranger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:02 am

I guess that is all personal preference. I know many that hunt with bow, muzzle loader, rifle and shot gun. I got a Pse bow ready to shoot brand new for $300 and have had it for 4 years and no problems with it. They are the same with guns, you can spend what you like. I bought a new muzzle loader for $150. The choice for me to go with bow was it was in the warmer part of the season, (I don't like the cold any more) No matter what you choose you don't need to go high end.
Doug

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I'm just looking for the most practical decision for a beginning hunter. Good input though!

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:26 pm

I ended up getting a bow. After doing some homework, I decided to buy one from Hunter's Friend. Went with the Bear Attitude RTH. Best price for everything you get, even if it's not the highest quality components. Has anyone shot this now yet, and also, has anyone bought from Hunter's Friend? I'd like to hear your experiences!

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 pm

Never heard of Hunters Friend. Are they something like Gander Mt? Bear is a good medium range bow. Don't remember the model but I shot a bear when I was looking at bows, but I preferred the PSE. Hopefully you got it at a place that will set it up for you,,,,,draw length, cut your arrows and such. I would go with the carbon arrows, probably a bit more money but I think worth it.
Doug

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Yes, they set the bow up. Not sure about them cutting the arrows. I did go with the carbon arrows though. They are a custom shop out of Kentucky, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm definitely looking forward to shooting in the yard soon. Any idea on good practice targets?

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:05 am

I looked the company up on the net, sounds like a good place,,,,,close by to you?? As far as targets go I bought a layered foam one from gander mt. similar to the ones they have on their site ($70). They say you can shoot broad heads etc but don't count on it. The broad heads cut the foam layers and after a bit will go right through. When this happened to me I bought some of the high expansion foam that contractors use ,,,,stuck the nozzle in the target and filled the voids with the foam. Works great. The 3D targets I guess its what you would like. You don't need one of the real expensive deer target with the large antlers etc. I am very cheap and got one that did the job for around $130. Just be sure you can replace the foam core. A range finder would be a good investment ,,,,again I went on the cheaper end and got one that serves me well. You don't need one that corrects the angle of the shot for you. If you do the math of a right triangle you will find the difference is less than a foot. Good luck to you.
Doug

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

I'm in NC, so it's not close by. But they are well known for their RTH packages. That's what they mostly sell. As for the target, I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on it. I'm trying to find the cheapest one I can. As far as a range finder, I'm shopping right now. Any decent ones for around $100.00?

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:17 pm

stillcallsmeson wrote:As for the target, I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on it. I'm trying to find the cheapest one I can.

I think the best buy for the money is that layered foam I told you about. I have had mine for 4 years and plenty of arrows at it. It really should be replaced now. Got mine from Gander Mt.,,,,,at the time it was on sale for $69

stillcallsmeson wrote: As far as a range finder, I'm shopping right now. Any decent ones for around $100.00?

You may have to put a little with that but like I mentioned you don't need the one that figures the angle. I suspect Gander Mt and Cabelas will be having after season sales soon. Before I got mine I would pace out the different distances from my stand and leave a small mark of some kind.
Doug

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Hmmm good to know. I'm looking forward to it. Craigs List or some local classifieds may be a good option for range finders as well.

Return to North Carolina