muzzleloader - cast or sabot

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
yamazinger

muzzleloader - cast or sabot

Postby yamazinger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:59 am

I just got into muzzleloading this year as my regular rifle season was horrible so id like to get a little extra time out in the woods earlier in the season. I had put about a dozen bullets through the gun and the only type of round i have shot so far is the hornady sst sabot. Are cast bullets accurate in a muzzleloader and do you need wads with them? They are less expensive and im just looking to be able to get comfortable with the gun and actually zero it in without breaking the bank. for some reason i am unable to get more than 3 consecutive shots while swabbing the barrel between shots to be accurate so if im going to waste my time and money i might as well shoot cheaper bullets.

Also i was at the range recently and i have been able to put the first couple shots each time i go into a 1inch group before the accuracy goes to shit. I made my adjustments on the scope prior to shooting anything last time i went and the bullet hit the same exact spot.... so i made a bold adjustment and the next shot the bullet went 5 inches the opposite way? im using a bench so the rifle is steady. i have the worst luck with scopes and to this day i still hate using them.

shaman

Re: muzzleloader - cast or sabot

Postby shaman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:40 am

I started using a Lee R.E.A.L cast bullet in my .54 Hawken about 7 years ago. Pretty soon my son and my buddy both started using them in their .50 cal ML's. My buddy is wickedly accurate out past 100 yards, and his ML is now his favorite deer arm.

1) use pure lead
2) practice until you can cast a fairly pristine bullet
3) Try at least a couple of moulds until you find what works.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

yamazinger

Postby yamazinger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:32 pm

i have the means to cast my own bullets and the lead but i do not have the mold and i was more talking about buying a cast bullet. i dont think you need wads with cast bullets but i do not know for sure and it seems like there is very limited info out there about muzzleloading.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:27 am

I use no wads, no patch, no lube.

You can buy the bullets. I shot TC Hunters and BUffalo Bullets for years. However, I got tired of the expense. The Lee mould is under $30 and came with handles. I crank out a year's worth of bullets in a few minutes, and they shoot better than the Power Belts I was using previously.

The other thing about cast bullets is the SHTF factor. I have 100 lbs of lead, some BP and some primers. I'll have at least something to shoot no matter what.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 am

That is where my arms are lacking. I have never owned a muzzle loader. One has been offered from my Father in law, but I have never used his. When finances allow, I need to get one, if for no other reason, as a fall back weapon, as you said.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Muzzle-Loaders

Postby Muzzle-Loaders » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Casting your own bullets is definitely going to be the most affordable way to shoot a muzzleloader, and makes it a whole new art. Casting your own bullets also depends on how far you want to shoot, and what kind of rifle you are using.

Any time you are using a sabot, you will have residue in the barrel from the plastic. That and the heat of the barrel after 3 shots are why you're starting to throw bullets. The SST's are one of the cheaper bullets on the market, and I would recommend using them to sight in. Another good bullet is the PowerBelt AeroLites, and those have been one of the best bullets on the market this year. Also, if you're fond of sabots, check out the Barnes T-EZ's, as they are getting great reviews as well.
Happy Hunting & God Bless

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 pm

kellory wrote:That is where my arms are lacking. I have never owned a muzzle loader. One has been offered from my Father in law, but I have never used his. When finances allow, I need to get one, if for no other reason, as a fall back weapon, as you said.

i did buy this BP rifle. now i need the proper mould for bullets. can i get the kind you suggested, Shaman, through bass pro? i have gift card with them. i also, need to get a list of what i might need for a possibles bag, and gear. most of what i should need, i have.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Kell,

In my short experience with blackpowder, I'd say get some sort of speed loader. I just use the plastic tubes the bullets come in when you buy them. I'm using the pellet style powder, so I just put my 2 pellets in first, then the bullet. When I go to load the gun I just take the cap off and dump it all in.

Also, depending on which style gun you have (mine doesn't break open like the newer versions do) it helps to have some sort of tool handy to either help place primers or remove ones that get stuck.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:14 am

I put together a few of the things that I carry with my inline TC. Going left to right:
(1)One type of speed loader (I use Triple 7 pellets. They seem to have less fouling than the Pyridex ones.) The 209 primers are held across the top of the loader. (2) Is a pin-like projection to clear the breech nipple of possible obstructions. A thin piece of fine wire will work just as well. The two parts screw together to keep you from sticking yourself. (3) It's called a "worm" to remove a patch that is stuck in the barrel. There is also one that has a penetrating screw to remove a stuck projectile. (4) T-bar that screws onto the end of your ramrod. Makes it easier to set your projectile. (5) Two types of 209 primer tools to place it on the nipple. (6) Projectile starter. Use this first to start it then finnish with the ramrod. (7) I always carry a couple of pre- moistened patches and a balloon to cover the muzzle if it's raining.
You may not need all of the above. Some are of convenience while others will keep you from going home early. I've done well with these. Lastly, you will need something to put your toys in. If I'm hunting in a stand I will take what I will need to quickly reload and put where I can grab them fast. I also take the ramrod off of the muzzleloader to reduce movement during reloading.
Attachments
DSCN1628.jpg
DSCN1628.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 214 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to Guns and Ammo