Topo Maps

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
dollarbill300

Topo Maps

Postby dollarbill300 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 am

Well the hunting season is 1 month old here in SC, and I am getting my arse handed to me. I have not shot one, and I have only seen 1 deer, a buck, but could not get a shot on it. People all around my area are shooting deer, or at least they are shooting at something. So, I have realized that I need to do more studying and research to get better at this. I purchased a book called mapping trophy bucks, and I plan to purchase a topo map. I am going to read as many books as I can get my hands on. My question is about topo maps. I was going to use mytopo.com. The map size of 2' x 3' seems to be big enough. The magnification is where I have questions. I have read that most people opt for a scale of 1:24,000. Why don't people go with scales of 1:15,000 or more detail? It's seems to be a lot easier to read the map and see all the features of the land. Once I learn how to recognize certain features that would be good on this map, I plan to take it out in the field with me and do more scouting. One other question, should I consider a hybrid topo/aerial map or just look at each one of those separate? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dinkus

Re: Topo Maps

Postby Dinkus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Dollar,

Topos have led me to several deer. I found a saddle 1 1/2 mile off of the road via a topo and have taken 3 bucks there. I quit hunting it because it took me 2 1/2 hours to get the last one back to the truck. This is in a National Forest and is off limits to ATV's. It is a natural funnel and the easiest route from point A to point B. I don't know how many deer that I have passed up at that spot. I am 62 now and have easier places to hunt, but if I could legally take my ATV into this spot I would go tomorrow.

I also plotted a buck's area by marking his scrapes on a GPS. When I got home I pulled up topos on maptech.com and marked the coordinates of each scrape. The scrape line was headed towards a saddle. I scouted the saddle, which was eat up with fresh scrapes and hung a stand. Opening day of muzzle loading I had 4 bucks come by and shot a nice 8 pt. A good map and a GPS can be a big help and there are several websites where you can download free topos.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:01 pm

You can get a topo for free on any site that lets you view it before you purchase it. Just take a print screen. I am not sure about the magnification, but I use a good topo I captured, as well as a satelite image. On the satelite image I mark stand sites, major trails and the like. Then its fun to compare to the topo.

I too am learning and researching this, and just had a miss a few weeks ago. I generally see deer however, so that part seems good. I'm hoping to find some more spots on public land so I have more options. But anyway, I also have done a lot of reading. I wish you the best of luck!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Check out http://www.bing.com/maps/ I use this site often to check on places both for hunting and for traveling. You can click on the birds eye view and zoom in and go 360 degrees.
Doug

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking