What is it that you HAVE to do?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Retranger

Re: What is it that you HAVE to do?

Postby Retranger » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Sierra I was a Red Cross basic first aid instructor, CPR instructor, CPR instructor trainer, both for my work and the public. I was crew chief for our helicopter, a fire arms and law enforcement instructor for NYSDEC. I guess another thing that helped me a lot is I was a cartographic draftsman when I was in the military. ;) ;)
Doug

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:05 am

Your service to your country is appreciated Doug.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 am

Retranger wrote:Sierra I was a Red Cross basic first aid instructor, CPR instructor, CPR instructor trainer, both for my work and the public. I was crew chief for our helicopter, a fire arms and law enforcement instructor for NYSDEC. I guess another thing that helped me a lot is I was a cartographic draftsman when I was in the military. ;) ;)

Wow! That is great, you've helped a great many people not only learn, but learn very important stuff. Ever come to Ohio? ;-) My mom was a cartographer before she got married, and instilled in my brother and I the value of maps. I love maps. Do you have a favorite resource for maps?

Thank you for your service!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Sierra,,,,,, my maps were acquired while I was working, usually supplied but bought some also. I usually went to our local sporting goods store. Started with a scale of 1:64,000 (?) one inch to the mile but then they came out with the metric for our area of NY and I preferred them. 1:24,000 (?) about 2 1/2 inches to the mile. Shows much more detail but everything was in metric, but got used to it. I have most of my maps on chartex (? spelling) allows you to fold and unfold the map without wearing it out. I also use a GPS but it doesn't replace my map and compass!!!!! Another good tool to help with scouting or traveling is this site http://www.bing.com/maps/. Lets you zoom way in and rotate 360 degrees with a birds eye view. It is similar to google but like it better. I have traveled through Ohio but never stopped there only for overnight.
Doug

Previous

Return to Off Topic