Treestand Recommendation

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
qbny94

Treestand Recommendation

Postby qbny94 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm from Long Island and will be hunting on LI and upstate New York. What tree stand do you guys recommend that is around $200 dollars that is very sturdy and safe. I'm looking for stands mainly between 16 and 18 feet tall and am debating on getting a two person stand or not. Do most people on long island hunt with ladder tree stands? I know that we aren't aloud to screw or bolt anything into the trees according to the DEC. I will be deer hunting and using a bow for next hunting season.

Retranger

Re: Treestand Recommendation

Postby Retranger » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:50 pm

I have three ladder stands that I use, 15-16 feet and about 50 pounds. Good time to look for one ,,,,,, Gander Mt, Dicks, Walmart etc. They would be on sale now and should pick one up for $100 or less. The ones I have fasten to the tree with web ratchet straps and I can move them around pretty easily if I want. Usually leave them where I first put them. A double stand would be a little more difficult.
Doug

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 am

Yes, I would go with a ladder stand. I think Sportsmansguide.com has a few on sale right now. I like a 15 foot buddy-style ladder stand. They are sturdy, safe, and they give you some room to stretch out. I started buying them when my sons were small, and I'll probably keep on buy them.

I wrote a piece a long while back on stands. You might have some fun with it.

Treestands-- a Survivor Looks Back
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

w4sar

Postby w4sar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:11 am

Now is the time to look for bargains on tree stands, I suggest you look at prices and then look at the reviews from users. I have ordered a few this way from Sportsman's Guide, and even physically picked one up from Dick's Sporting goods. Some of the single stands I have gotten for well under $100 and they have worked fine and were sturdy. The singles are lighter and less expensive, but too small for me to haul my back pack up.

I also use a couple off two-man sized stands, they are heavier and more expensive, but I can haul up all my gear. One is a semi-wraparound style and is my most productive stand, I can readily sweep over 3/4 of my surroundings. Of course the other advantage is that you can have a buddy up there with you, I have mentored a couple of first-time hunters this way.

One other thing is to replace the ratchet straps when they show signs of fatigue, they can be readily ordered from Sportsman's Guide or elsewhere.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:46 am

I like this time of year for deals as well.

I have hang on, climber and ladderstands. All have their benefits.
I've become most partial to hang on these days.
Seems the options for trees is greater, and it outweighs the extra effort of set up, you can get higher easier.
There are high ladder stands that get your feet up to 20' as well, but i've just gotten more of the hangons these days. Especially right after Christmas. Dicks is my go to place usually (although this year the deals weren't quite as great as last year). 2 years ago I got a 15' ladder, a hangon XL (I like the XL for the extra foot space to turn when archery hunting), and 20' climbing sticks for < $100.
Also check craigslist, lots of people sell their stuff there
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 am

I'd also suggest checking out The Sportsmen's Guide, I have one of their two man ladder stands and have had it in the same place here on my property for about 5 years. Mine is about 20' tall, but you can add or delete ladder sections to suit your needs. Personally, I refuse to do business with Dick's, after they pulled all of their semi-auto guns in response to the antis after Newtown, and I'll drive extra miles to visit BassPro rather than do any business with Dick's. I even sent them my rewards card and a letter of protest telling them they didn't need my business any longer after they caved in. BTW, I was in Walmart last Friday night and noticed they had all of their ladder stands, hang-ons and ground blinds marked down.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 am

rthomas4 wrote:I'd also suggest checking out The Sportsmen's Guide, I have one of their two man ladder stands and have had it in the same place here on my property for about 5 years. Mine is about 20' tall, but you can add or delete ladder sections to suit your needs. Personally, I refuse to do business with Dick's, after they pulled all of their semi-auto guns in response to the antis after Newtown, and I'll drive extra miles to visit BassPro rather than do any business with Dick's. I even sent them my rewards card and a letter of protest telling them they didn't need my business any longer after they caved in. BTW, I was in Walmart last Friday night and noticed they had all of their ladder stands, hang-ons and ground blinds marked down.

I hear you, but really I have limited options despite living in a large city. I do my best.

fwiw I refuse to shop at Wal-mart.

They are providing MILLIONS of dollars to EDF, Ocean Conservancy etc to create catch shares for commercial and recreational fishing, and to create coastal zones that essentially will be off limits to a recreational fisherman. Wal-mart and other large corporations will own all the fish and fishing. Leaving the likes of us to either buy our fish from them and other corps, or not fish at all.
By shopping there, buying your equipment and supplies to hunt and fish......your paying to have your access removed. ;)

I guess the question is........what evil can you do battle with and which do you not............its only getting worse.

To the OP'er sorry for the derailment
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:54 pm

I go to Walmart for my haircuts and groceries. I seldom make any big purchases if I can get the same items at Tractor Supply or BassPro. Living where I live, the closest thing to a Walmart we have is Fred's, and we don't have much in the way of any type of retail stores in town that don't jack the prices up; so, it's cheaper for me to drive 26 miles to Walterboro where there are plenty of restaurants, gas is much cheaper than Hampton, and there is even a movie theater where the tickets are still $2.50 per adult. I have to drive to Savannah to get to BassPro, and that's about 75 miles away. If I didn't own my land and have great deer hunting, I'd get the hell out of this two bit corrupt hole in the wall where I live. Also as to Dick's, unlike BassPro and Cabela's, their rewards points have an expiration date, which is another reason I basically had stopped shopping with them prior to them removing all of the semi-auto weapons from their locations.

BTW, your comments about Walmart are the first I've heard about the situation you described. Wonder why there isn't more public information made available?
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

dehavenphoto

Postby dehavenphoto » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 am

The climbing sticks at Dick's are the best buy. I have 4 or 5 sets of them. They are 20' tall but you can use one less section if you only need 16'. They list for $59.95; go on sale for $49.95 BUT if you buy an item at Dick's you get a shopper survey on the receipt. That gives you a coupon for $10.00 off on a $50 purchase. I add a small item to the stick purchase and end up getting them for only $39.95. They are sturdy and have great straps. These are the ones to buy and are a great value.

Do NOT buy the ones at Sportsman's Guide. I bought one set and they are pure junk! They are not made well; are not as sturdy as the ones from Dicks and they are alternating steps whereas the ones at Dicks have steps on each side. They have already started rusting and the metal is so thin I'll probably only get a couple of seasons from them. The one from SG even had the mounts bent as they were not welded correctly. Do NOT buy them. Trust me on this.

I am 67 and use a climber stand as well as hang on's and ladder stands. I have a dozen or so stands as I hunt several properties. It all depends on where I am hunting and what I need to accomplish. I prefer the hang on's with the 20' sticks. I get up reasonably high and they are easy to set up. I use a lineman's belt and safety harness plus I use a rachet tool that lifts my stand up into the correct height.

Ladder stands are easier to set up (one man stands) but are more visable and have less height (usually 15' to 16'). I also use a portable blind on some hunts.

Jack

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:39 pm

An excellent first post Jack, welcome to the forum. I'm sure your experience and knowledge will be apreciated.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to General Discussions