Do you tire easily when carrying your climber?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
4khorn

Do you tire easily when carrying your climber?

Postby 4khorn » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:33 pm

I want to use my climber more and tackle some public land next fall. My problem is that I get easily tired carrying the stand long distances. A combination of heavy boots, and all the gear has me stopping for breaks a lot. Does anyone else struggle with this? What excercises could I do to help? I thought about walking on a treadmill with a heavy book bag.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

mhouck06

Re: Do you tire easily when carrying your climber?

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 pm

4khorn wrote:I want to use my climber more and tackle some public land next fall. My problem is that I get easily tired carrying the stand long distances. A combination of heavy boots, and all the gear has me stopping for breaks a lot. Does anyone else struggle with this? What excercises could I do to help? I thought about walking on a treadmill with a heavy book bag.

You are on the right track. I kind of build up to it throughout the year.. Home in PA I use mainly hang ons.. so that doesn’t help much..
I walk a lot in the summer, no extra weight or anything.. just to start getting built up
Typically, I hunt MD in Sept. I take my climber there, most of my spots are pretty short walks and I start to get built up.
Oct. opens PA season, like I said I use hang ons here but occasionally use the climber, so I am still building up.
Nov. Brings ohio and Indiana.. long walks, up to 2 miles, all climber hunting... all day sits, so lots of food/gear.
By this time though, I wouldn’t call myself in shape.. but more fit that what I started the season.. I take 2-3 breaks when carrying the gear.. sometimes more depending on terrain.
The big thing this time of year for me is wearing hardly any clothes on the walk in.. It can be cold as heck, but the less clothes the better for me.. I get dressed at the tree.

Anyway, I do a variety of hunts with my climber and I kind of build up to them through the year... I would say you doing the treadmill and book bag would be a great start.. Dont overdo it though, you dont want to get hurt...

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness