cover scents

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
crossbow

cover scents

Postby crossbow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:47 pm

my question is about cover scents.there are so many different types on the market,is there any particular type that works better than others.i know tinks gets good reviews.what would your choices be.thanks.

Ohio farms

Re: cover scents

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:36 pm

I've tried different scents over the years, my first being a skunk scent that came in two different bottles that you mixed together to create the smell. Trouble with that one was that you smelled like a skunk when you came home. Tried fox urine on my boots...hard to say if it helped. Tried tinks and most other brands over a long period of time and I can't say that they helped, but I did buy a bottle of it this year. Guys that I know have had some success if used at the right times. Give it a try if it keeps you in the woods longer. Good luck
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Play the wind.. I tend to do that and stick to "scent elimination".. I dont buy into trying to smell like something else using cover scent.. some guys swear by it though

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:43 pm

The best cover scent that I've ever used is simply keeping all of my hunting outerwear in a sealable plastic tub in which I have a cachet bag that's filled with dried, crushed hardwood leaves. When you open the tub it smells like an October woods. Other than that I play the wind. The best scent is NO scent, but being scentless is impossible. The best we can do is to reduce our scent signiature as much as possible and...once again....play the wind. If you are going to try and "cover" your scent, then use odors that are common in the area you will be hunting. I mentioned the hardwood leaves. I also hunt a horse ranch and I make it a point to step in any horse poop I see while hunting as that is an odor that will not alarm deer that live around horses. Same goes for cow manure.

I've found that for bowhunting you do NOT want to use a scent that's a food scent or even a sex scent as a cover, because they're also ATTRACTANTS. The last thing you want for a bow shot is to have the deer looking at you or towards you.

Lastly, you need to include learning the wind/thermal patterns in your hunting area under different barometric as well as wind conditions. The only way to do this is by spending time in your hunting area. Off season is s great time to do this. I also use colored smoke bombs at that time, and they have taught me a LOT about the thermal patterns in my area which I thought I knew from front to back. I also carry a squeeze bottle of scentless powder which I use while hunting to check air currents on calm days. A ripe milkweed pod is also excellent for this and is FREE!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:33 am

Cover scents are a dry hole. If you have pit stink or some other odor on you, nothing will cover that up. You need to get rid of it. Check out my piece on Baking Soda:

Baking Soda -- The Shamanic Method

. . . and if you read my stuff regularly, you'll know I'm the first to admit this is probably overkill, but baking soda is cheap, cheaper than detergent, and it seems to work.

I've watched for the past 30 years as this topic has ebbed and flowed. Basically, the theory is cracked. On the one hand, you have a deer's nose, being touted as being sooooo sensitive that they can pick up the hole in the air through which a hunter passes ( I don't buy that) and then they can't smell the oil on your gun or the naptha coming off your rubber boots. Somewhere in this is the idea that you can spritz fox urine on your boots, and that's supposed to make you invisible. Also along the way, there have been articles claiming deer respond negatively to carnivore urine (skunk, fox,coyote) . So go figure.

When I did try using cover scents, I found that for the most part they did not keep deer from busting me.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:50 am

Like everyone else seems to be saying, play the wind and do the best you can on scent elimination. I went ahead and bought scent free body wash/shampoo, detergent and baking soda, and scent elimination spray. The reason for the body wash and that is all my normal stuff smells like flowers and stuff, as you would expect from a girl.

I took some advice from here and once I washed my stuff in the detergent and baking soda, and then dried it with the dryer sheets, I bagged it all up in big garbage bags filled with leaves and sticks and stuff I got from the woods where I hunt. I don't put those clothes on until I get to my location and I am about to walok in, no matter how cold it is.

Despite all that, I am sure despite spray that there is residual scent on my boots, backpack, etc. So I really worry about wind. :-)

I have never tried any attractant scent.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:50 am

shaman wrote:Cover scents are a dry hole. If you have pit stink or some other odor on you, nothing will cover that up. You need to get rid of it. Check out my piece on Baking Soda:

Baking Soda -- The Shamanic Method

. . . and if you read my stuff regularly, you'll know I'm the first to admit this is probably overkill, but baking soda is cheap, cheaper than detergent, and it seems to work.

Shaman and I have had a few discussions on BS(baking soda).
I too have been sold on it for a few years.
EVERYTHING I have is exposed to BS.
I use a scent free detergent once a year. During the season if I have to wash my clothes and such its with just BS, dried, then stored with again with BS in plastic.
I also do bath in scent eliminator.

No way we can get rid of all we have when it comes to human smell. We can eliminate it as best we can, but not all. Best we can do is keep it to a minimum and let it appear that the bits of odor the deer are picking up are "old".

As for cover scents. I will also store my clothes with oak leaves (they are free), I really like the smell, and when I put them on it makes ME think I am invisible in the woods. Doubtful the deer do. But if I think it raises my mental game when I am out there, so why not.

In the big pic though, they say a buck can be many many many yards away from a scrape (or a doe) and tell if she's in season. Never have to even poke his head out of the thick stuff to scent check. So I doubt any cover scent would really hide your odor.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:32 pm

On my property, I'm pretty screwed with wind patterns. Most of my stands are fine if I have a South or an East wind, but I'm usually screwed if it's a West wind and somewhat if it's a Northerly wind. For that reason I'm a big proponent of scent free soaps and shampoos, along with scent free detergent and dryer sheets. I'm also a firm believer in ConQuest's EverCalm which is the deer herd in a stick cover scent. I know it works because I've killed deer within 30 or 40 yards directly downwind, many times over the years since I began using it. I've also had deer walk directly underneath my stands when using it. Also, as far as attractant scents, the only one I trust and use is also a ConQuest scent and it's the VS-1 in a stick. Maybe, neither one actually works and it's all in my head; but if that's the case, then at least it's a confidence builder!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I killed a big doe Saturday morning, and she came from downwind. I had EverCalm in several locations around my stand, and killed her at 30 yards away with my T/C Encore .308. There were 4 of them all together and they approached from behind me, I was lucky enough to hear 'em as they came through the leaves.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Only way to beat a buck's nose, is to stay out of it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 pm

"I know it works because I've killed deer within 30 or 40 yards directly downwind, many times over the years since I began using it. I've also had deer walk directly underneath my stands when using it."

You know, I've had situations like that and at the time I thought that it was my scent reduction practices that did the trick but as time goes by I have some other ideas. Over the past 10 years I've done a lot more "wind scouting" on my ground, in that I study the thermals and how they react under different barometric pressure and humidity conditions. AS I've mentioned I've been using colored smoke bombs in the off season as a visual aid and it's taught me a lot.

For example, one gun season I was hunting along the edge of a CRP field. I was about 7 yards inside a treeline, perched atop a round bale that was set on end, so I was only about 6' or so above the ground. I had a forkhorn amble down the edge of the field and I could see that he was going to pass right by me at about 7 to 8 yards. The wind, a slight breeze, was blowing directly from me to where he was going to pass. I had no intentions of shooting him, as I was actually hunting a series of scrapes that were located about 40 yards away in the corner where the CRP, treeline, and the river bottom woods all met. I wondered as he approached my scent stream what his reaction would be. Well, he just walked righ by me and made no reaction at all. He then walked another few yards and the stopped and turned into the field to cross and walked directly downwind of where me scent stream was going and he never flinched.

Now, I KNOW that it wasn't because of my scent reduction. There's no way that a deer would be fooled by any cover scent at that range. The only things I could figure would cause this is that he DIDN'T get in my scent stream. But how could that be? He was directly down wind. After much thought I guessed that it may be because of the barometer/low humidity that my scent was RISING and not at all at ground level. Now I know that if you are 15'+ up a tree and the sun's out that many times your scent doesn't pool at the base of the tree and in fact rises above where the deer can detect it. This is one of the reasons that treestand hunting is so effective. It can alsowork against you if you get in a tree befors sunrise and the humidty/barometric pressure causes your scent to pool at the base of the tree. If you are in your tree before light and you hear deer snort/blow and then run off even thought you've been sitting quiet for a while that's usually the reason.

Scent reduction or "cover" scents are not capable of hiding human scent from a deer. That's just plain false. The best we can hope for is that when we do use them that it MAY cause a deer to think AFTER HE SMELLS US, that we are maybe 150 yards or more away and not the 20 or 30 that we actually are.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions