Ice fishing

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Ice fishing

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 am

Anyone do much ice fishing? Since I live in the semi arctic here in Ohio (at least this winter) I was bitten by the bug a few years ago. I've ice fished since I was a teenager, but never really was hooked...just something to do in the winter. Three years ago a buddy took me to a private lake and we had a riot. Lots of bluegill and some nice crappie. I even bought a depth finder specifically made for ice fishing. Well, we have not had good ice since then until this winter so we are both eager to go. Problem is the temps are in the single digits with wind chills well below that. Maybe next week we will get out. Not sure why exactly it is so much fun to pull a smallish fish out of a little hole, but it is.
Anybody else do any hard water fishing?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Re: Ice fishing

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:52 pm

No, I haven't, but I have a blind heater, and a bulk tank for it, should we be so inclined. I also have a bunch of duck decoys and goose decoys, that have not yet seen any use with me. Perhaps we should do something about that?;) there are at least a half a dozen of us here in Ohio.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 pm

I have definitely fallen in love with fishing the hard water. I had never gone ice fishing until I moved to take my teaching position. I ended up just about an hour away from Kickapoo State Park. The art teacher I work with invited me to go along, so I bought 1 pole and borrowed some tackle. You are absolutely right...something about hauling a 6 inch gill through a hole in the ice is just rad. Those depth finder flasher units are super cool too. I don't have one yet, but I'm keeping my eye out for a sale...

I actually got out last Monday (no school) and did really well. The 3 of us each took a limit of 10 gills. It was actually a mixed bag of bluegill, redear, and even a warmouth. The best part was the 12 rainbow trout we landed. The state stocks 'bows in one of the ponds every spring and fall for a trout season. We always try to fish the opener from the boat, and we do very well. I caught a male that was just shy of 20 inches last fall. Apparently quite a few of them survived until ice-over, and now they're HUNGRY... I'm gonna try to get out again this weekend and get some more.

One of my "bucket list" trips is to ice fish up North for some walleye and pike.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:24 pm

kellory wrote:No, I haven't, but I have a blind heater, and a bulk tank for it, should we be so inclined. I also have a bunch of duck decoys and goose decoys, that have not yet seen any use with me. Perhaps we should do something about that?;) there are at least a half a dozen of us here in Ohio.

I bought this a few years back ......in case the opportunity ever arose here........never know

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Ice fishing in Florida....say it isn't so Sailfish.
I read where is 12 inches of ice around the islands on Lake Erie. I've never ice fished on the big lake...it seems that most every year fisherman get stuck on an ice flow that separates from the ice back. I'll keep to inland lakes/ponds. Temps might be reasonable by the end of next week to give it a try.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:32 am

I haven't fished the frozen waters for a number of years. Our fishing was a little different, we fished for smelt on Lake Champlain. We fished out of a fishing shanty, usually 4' X 8' or a 5' X 8', and heated with a small propane or wood stove. Instead of a pole we used 50# monofiliment wrapped on a home made fishing board. Although there would be some perch fisherman running around the ice most were smelt fishing. We have not had the cold weather that we used to and the lake doesn't freeze completely so fishing has dropped off to only the bays.
Doug

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:54 am

I miss ice fishing terribly, one of my favorite winter pastimes as a kid. An overnight stay on the lake was always a possibility, & with the john deere liquifires outside for the boring times of day or a night time ride with a clear sky and full moon to keep the barbwire fence lines visible,, lots of fun .

boy is it LOUD when ice that thick cracks at night!

We used to use old tin coffee cans with some kingsford charcoal to keep the holes open and your hands warm if we did do some outside fishing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:27 am

I remember the first time that I ever heard the ice crack on Lake Erie. Scared the hell out of me.
It's -1 out today with wind chills -10, but this weekend is supposed go into the upper 20's. I'm itching to go

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:59 am

How many people are you wanting for a weekend fishing trip? Doubt I could get free, but it might be fun. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am

Ohio farms wrote:Ice fishing in Florida....say it isn't so Sailfish.

Nah. No need for a tip up down this way :lol:
I just collect fishing/nautical stuff I find unique or of interest to me.

I think I picked that up at a yard sale on Houghton Lake MI one summer.
This thread did bring back a fond memory from a winter in early 70 with my grandpa ice fishing on his lake in Remus, MI
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Next

Return to Off Topic