Wooded Food Plot

bollweevil

Wooded Food Plot

Postby bollweevil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:47 pm

I need some suggestions for what to plant in a wooded area. The area is roughly half an acre that is located in oaks. The oaks are so close together that even tho they may be standing 50+ feet high their limb spans are 15-20 feet across. My plan is to go in and clear out roughly half of the trees to allow the remaining ones to mature and spread and produce a better acorn crop. I know it will take several years for this to happen so I am wanting to take advantage of the sunlight reaching the forest floor to produce something that will provide foliage in the spring to help keep the deer out of my larger food plot (will be three acres of Eagle soy beans) that is located in the same area until it can mature. The new plot would be in the travel route of the deer on the way to the larger plot so it will also be great for early season bow hunts. I am going to start clearing the area the first week of February and would like to plant as soon as possible so it will be established by turkey season. I am located in Coffee county which is in the SE corner of AL. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Retranger

Re: Wooded Food Plot

Postby Retranger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Deer up my way like the brassicas, beets,carrots etc.
Doug

Return to Alabama