Can I hunt my backyard?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
stillcallsmeson

Can I hunt my backyard?

Postby stillcallsmeson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:57 am

Hey everyone! So, I live outside of city limits in Onslow County, NC and have 4.67 acres which is mostly wooded and connected to another person's land. My neighbors are hundreds of yards away and my property is really secluded. Assuming I have my hunting license, I see no ordinance saying I can't bow hunt my property. There are deer constantly in the yard and in the woods, and it would be a good opportunity to put some meat in the freezer. What do you guys think? Any thoughts or opinions?

kellory

Re: Can I hunt my backyard?

Postby kellory » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 pm

I would suggest you check with your DNR to be sure of the law, and then set up a blind or stand. :)
Here in Ohio, it's legal, and doesn't even require any permits beyond a simple hunting permit. All bag limits and restriction as to weapons and times, will still apply.
Here, homeowner can hunt, kids, cAn hunt, (but may require partial permits)
If you do not own the property, full permits will be required, if your rules are similar to ours.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Best check with the city or township that you live in too as far as the discharge of weapons.
As Kellory stated your Division of Wildlife can let you know what requirements are needed to hunt on your own property.
Property owners in Ohio are only required to supply a homemade deer tag to hunt deer. No license or formal deer tag is required in Ohio, but that rules changes if you leave your property to follow up on a wounded deer.
Small woodlots like that can be really good if you don't advertise your presence too much. Good luck.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Here in SC, as long as the property isn't in the town limits, the season is in and you have a valid hunting license, it would be perfectly legal regardless of whether you are using a rifle, shotgun, bow, cross bow, or spear. The provision in SC about proximity to houses and buildings doesn't apply when the landowner is hunting their own property, also as long as an individual is hunting private property ( or even Federal) the prohibition against Sunday hunting isn't applicable since that only applies to State owned lands and state controlled Federal Forestry lands. But, like was said, you should check with the NC DNR for your state's regulations.

BTW, I hunt my backyard and all of my family property even within 50 yards of the town limits and up to the property lines of a subdivision. I did fail to retrieve a nice buck I shot this past season that went into the back yard of one of the houses in that subdivision. My dog trailed the deer straight to that yard, but the homeowner had already taken my buck. Under SC law, I don't need permission to trespass in order to retrieve a dead deer, but this guy had gotten it before the dog took me to it.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 pm

I say go for it (after checking laws of course). But you probably want to go the crossbow or bow route if you have near neighbors and/or you are near the city limits. Lots of people these days go into a panic when they hear a gun shot. Keep it quiet and you will have a good thing going for some meat for your freezer. Get a good shot in the lungs and your deer should go down on your property with no problems
Last edited by MZS on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Also check your local municipality. As a for instance, it would be legal for me to hunt my own back yard by Ohio law, but there is a local city ordinance that prohibits it unless you get a special permit issued by the city.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:22 pm

I appreciate all of the replies. I know that in order to use a firearm in my county, you must be a minimum of 500 ft. from any occupied dwelling, which unfortunately, there is one place that is closer than that. But I was planning on bow hunting anyways. I'll check with county ordinance, but I should be good to go. Does anyone have any pics from deer taken on their own land? Let's see them!

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:27 am

stillcallsmeson wrote:I know that in order to use a firearm in my county, you must be a minimum of 500 ft. from any occupied dwelling

In NY a bow/crossbow is considered the same as a firearm. There has been talk of changing the distance for a bow but as yet it is considered a firearm
Doug

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 am

Same in Ohio. That would be why I can't legally practice with my bow in my backyard. because it throws a projectile, it is legally considered a firearm, here. (Stupid as that sounds) inside city limits. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:46 pm

kellory wrote:Same in Ohio. That would be why I can't legally practice with my bow in my backyard. because it throws a projectile, it is legally considered a firearm, here. (Stupid as that sounds) inside city limits. :(

Thank God I don't have that restriction here! I'm free to shoot a bow in my backyard, as it's not considered a firearm according to county ordinance definition. I should be good to go then. Now, if I could only get permission to hunt the guy's land next to mine...that's the next step!

Next

Return to General Discussions