deer meat best part

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: deer meat best part

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:25 pm

Fresh loin, fried in garlic butter and mushrooms.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:33 pm

Fresh tenderloins, heart and liver, cooked of course.  Nothing reminds me of sitting around the camp table eating those 3 things the night of the harvest.  If you can get past the fact that the heart is where the blood was circulated through, there isn't much else in the deer that is quite as tasty.

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:39 pm

The tenderloins  ( the small inside ones)  I guess those are the tru tender loins but people call them different things.....I grew up hearing the old folks refere to them as Preachers Meat.....if the preacher stopped by the camp and you offered him a cut... that was usually what they got.  Kinda like drumsticks from fresh fried chicken during revival time[:D]

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:34 am

ORIGINAL: paulie

The best meat on a deer is the meat under the skin!

Your truly right.
I love it all.
Deerburger, roast, steaks, heart whatever. It all tastes good to me.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 am

i like the sausage
hot sausage

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 am

Tenderloins by far!!!! And these are the ones inside the rib cage, not the backstraps where the tenderloins of a steer would be, because people get them confused ALOT!  But they must be cut out immediately after harvest,  cut into butterflys and flash seared in a pan after lightly coated with flour.  Put onions, mushrooms, garlic and butter in the pan and saute before the tenderloin is put in!!!!!  Pepper to taste!!! MMMMMMMM mMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM MMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM.  Nothing better on the planet.  Couple with a serving of sliced potatoes cooked in butter, oil, and onions and you've got yourself a meal I couldn't pass up even if I was already full.  Of course, its not the healthiest of manners to prepare it, but that's not the discussion here I guess!!!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:02 am

It's all delicious, but if I had a gun to my head and had to choose I would say tenderloins....Followed closely by backstraps....Followed closely by everything else!!!! [:D]

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:12 am

I call backstraps the strips of meat you filet from the underside of the spine, from inside the cavity of the animal.
Loins/tenderloins are only accessible after you've skinned the animal; they run on each side of the spine on top of the animal.
In our Wisconsin camp, backstraps are the desired meat, usually consumed the day of the kill. We grill them with a simple mix of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. In my opinion, the finest meat on the planet.
If we have a really successful year we'll freeze a few backstraps and enjoy in the spring as part of Wisconsin Surf and Turf (fresh fried bluegills and backstrap).
After the backstraps, I agree with a lot of you; it's all delicious provided it's field dressed appropriately, cooled quickly, and prepared properly.

Washburn

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 am

Dang!

Now you got me thinking again.  I know everyone else is saying Tenderloins, but I gotta say that it's all pretty darn good.  Even the stew meat, done in one of my exotic recipes is awesome.

Last night I made a Pakistani-style pot roast. It looked liked something you et and lost, but you get past the presentation that looks the floor of a frat house bathroom on Sunday morning, and the taste is tremendous.

About the only thing I have not had come out right was ribs-- still haven't figure them out.

We had a beef pot roast last week, and it absolutely rocked us-- could not believe the grease.  Then I realizes we'd been eating dead deer for several weeks. After a while you get so used to ultra-lean venison, that dead cow tastes too fat.

Venison:  It's the only meat I've ever worked with that you needed to add back in fat.  I keep a hunk of beef suet in the freezer and shave off a little to put in a lot of my recipes-- half a teaspoon is about all you need for the flavor.

OK: How's that for keeping it short and simple.  I hope I didn't bore any of you too much.[8|]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:44 am

ORIGINAL: Washburn

I call backstraps the strips of meat you filet from the underside of the spine, from inside the cavity of the animal.
Loins/tenderloins are only accessible after you've skinned the animal; they run on each side of the spine on top of the animal.
In our Wisconsin camp, backstraps are the desired meat, usually consumed the day of the kill. We grill them with a simple mix of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. In my opinion, the finest meat on the planet.
If we have a really successful year we'll freeze a few backstraps and enjoy in the spring as part of Wisconsin Surf and Turf (fresh fried bluegills and backstrap).
After the backstraps, I agree with a lot of you; it's all delicious provided it's field dressed appropriately, cooled quickly, and prepared properly.

Washburn

That's kinda funny because we call the backstraps here in the U.P. the cut on the outside of the cavity and the tenderloins the ones on the inside of the cavity that can be accessed before skinning.  Being that the later is "more" tender than the cut of meat outside the cavity, we subsequently call them the "tenderloins".  I don't think the inside cavity cut should be called backstraps, since they are not part of the "back".  The outside cut is indeed a loin in the steer, but the more tender meat out of the two loins we are talking about should always be called the "tenderloins".  A good number of people have it mixed up I think.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions