Can I hunt my backyard?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: Can I hunt my backyard?

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 am

Man, I'm glad I live outside the city limits and in a state that doesn't have so many restrictive laws.
Sunday, I did some target practice with a few handguns, right in my backyard.
As for pictures, I've posted pictures in several threads of the deer I killed here on my property, and one I killed while dog hunting deer at my club. I didn't get any pictures of what I killed in Florida, so there should be pictures of 9 of my 10 deer kills, along with the one my brother killed here on our property, too.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Kellory: That absolutely sucks! I believe I'd construct myself about a 30 yard (if space allowed) "bowling alley" out of scrap lumber and tarps. That way I could shoot my bow away from prying eyes. I've grown up shooting bows in my backyard. Of course, the town I grew up in is considered a village, and there was about 100 acres of wooded hillside right behind my house. We didn't do a whole lot of shooting guns, being that there were other houses pretty close by. Now I live in an old farmhouse outside of town. I have hundreds of acres of field surrounding my house, so there's really only a couple of directions I can't shoot in. I've sighted in my slug gun and muzzleloader, shot my handgun, blown off fireworks, and loosed many an arrow (I can easily set up a target at 70 yds and still be in my yard) just a few steps from my back door. I can't imagine not being able to do that. Thank God I married a farmer's daughter...

We have even had some downright outrageous shooting sessions at my uncle's farm. The neighbors went so far as to call the cops because of the amount of shooting that we were doing. (this happens when you have several gun nuts and a bunch of cousins who like to shoot) The IL state police showed up and asked who owned the land. We showed our FOID cards, they glanced over our weapons, then said have a nice day. From then on we just called them when we were planning on going shooting so that they didn't have to waste a trip when they got more calls.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:13 am

That sort of reminds me of my experience. I have a bunch of Class3 friends, so I organized a shoot at the farm. I had the foresight to call up the sheriff and tell him what was going to happen. The response? The dispatcher got back to me and said the sheriff wanted to know the next time I planned on having a shoot-- he and the deputies wanted to know if they could join in.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 am

shaman wrote:That sort of reminds me of my experience. I have a bunch of Class3 friends, so I organized a shoot at the farm. I had the foresight to call up the sheriff and tell him what was going to happen. The response? The dispatcher got back to me and said the sheriff wanted to know the next time I planned on having a shoot-- he and the deputies wanted to know if they could join in.

That's hilarious! That's the kind of Sheriff every county needs. I'm grateful to have enough land to shoot/hunt on. It's only 4.5 acres, but that's plenty for me. Here's a pic of some does I got on the trail cam earlier in the week. Good to know the Moultrie is working :)
Attachments
MFDC0370.jpg
MFDC0370.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 pm

51 degrees and no snow... you CAN"T be anywhere near Illinois! Nice to see some deer moving..

I have 2 cameras up in my timber. I haven't been out there since the end of December for my last sit with the muzzleloader. I'm sure the batteries are dead by now, especially with this bitter cold we've had. However, there's been too much snow (and too little time) for me to work up the gumption to get out there and walk around. I'm hoping to do at least a quick scouting/shed/camera retrieve sometime before February is over. It's gonna take some nicer weather though...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Definitely find out all of the rules... Here in PA its actually pretty nice.. You can hunt in any safety zone as long as you have permission from everyone in that safety zone.. In your case that doesnt seem to matter much. As far as city/town rules... The state has say over everyone.. a lot of towns/cities in PA try to regulate hunting but they cant.. State law is above them. The only way you cant hunt in the city or town is if they own the ground. If you are hunting private ground and have all the right permission and are in accordance with the state regs, you are good to go. It took me a while to find all this out for PA, so I would dig as deep as you can to find out all the rules and how they work in the hierarchy

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:06 pm

I didn't even know they had a season on backyards! What kind of weapon would one use for a backyard?

Are there guidelines and parameters for QBM established yet? What would define a "trophy" backyard? A pool? Tennis court? Skeet range?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:50 am

It ain't as easy as you think, Woodsie.
The requirements are not simple....tiki torches, launched from water balloon slingshots, and no sights. Often takes more than a dozen, properly placed, and as usual, placement is important!
They must be gutted on site, With the proper permits in hand, and before transport, and that will take some heavy equipment.
It is not for the faint of heart.
They are in season year round, easier to track in winter, but harder to take. They are known to hunt in packs, so be aware of your surroundings at all times.
As always, know your local rules, but common hunting gear includes shorts, and crocks, and bikinis are optional. (Thongs are forbidden for all male hunters)
Grilles steaks and beer have been known to be excellent lures when used in moderation.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

stillcallsmeson

Postby stillcallsmeson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Deebz wrote:51 degrees and no snow... you CAN"T be anywhere near Illinois! Nice to see some deer moving..

I have 2 cameras up in my timber. I haven't been out there since the end of December for my last sit with the muzzleloader. I'm sure the batteries are dead by now, especially with this bitter cold we've had. However, there's been too much snow (and too little time) for me to work up the gumption to get out there and walk around. I'm hoping to do at least a quick scouting/shed/camera retrieve sometime before February is over. It's gonna take some nicer weather though...

It's much colder up your way, for sure. I'm in coastal North Carolina, down outside of Jacksonville. Believe it or not, one of the best hunting spots around here is Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. There have been some nice deer taken on base. Fortunately, I still have access on base so that will be one place I need to scout. As for my property, those same two does keep coming back to my bait pile. Haven't seen any bucks yet. Where there are does, there can't be bucks too far off!

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:47 am

I haven't had any bait out since the end of my season, but there is still some forage left on the food plots. I'm still getting pictures of a good many does, and some bucks that are still rutting. Several of the biggest bucks have antlers that are all busted up and broken from fighting, but I'm still finding fresh scrapes and rubs, so obviously the youngest doe fawns are now coming into heat. I found one new scrape this past week that literally had a fresh steaming pile of fresh deer droppings within a foot of the scrape; obviously I interrupted that buck when I rode up to check my trail camera at that spot.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions