Looking for Pro Staff-The Modern Outdoor Sportsman

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Re: Looking for Pro Staff-The Modern Outdoor Sportsman

Postby shaman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 pm

I don't mean to be critical here. I'm just expressing my own tastes. I've seen this post for a while and something bothered me about it.

Does anyone else feel a little odd with the idea of recording your own deer hunts? I don't know if it is just me, but I'm not a fan of the idea.

I think three things enter into this:

1) I used to be involved with Broadcast Journalism. It's funny, but you can look at anything through a camera view finder and it doesn't bug you. I've gone in close for shots with dead people in automobile accidents, etc. and it didn't faze me. The act of recording the image kept me detached That was business. Hunting is something different. Emotional detachment is the last thing I want.
2) Does anyone here do selfies at a funeral? You got your dead relative, two or three living ones, you all gather around the casket and post the results on Facebook? Anyone? Why? Why Not?
3) As soon as I've recorded something, that recording becomes the reality. What I feel and what I remember becomes co-opted by the footage, I don't want to do that with a deer hunt.

Mind you, I'm not saying anyone should feel the way I do. I'm just one guy, but when I'm after a deer, I'm after a deer, not footage, not web content. I say that, and you can go on my website and listen to podcasts of my my turkey hunts, but that's a microphone stashed over on the side and I'm not really thinking about it. However, I always was an audio guy more than anything.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 pm

I know I'm in the minority on this and have accepted the fact that I am indeed a dinosaur, but I cannot think of anything more boring than having to watch a complete stanger hunt something. Hunting for me is a very personal experience and with the exception of another very personal...ahem...experience is NOT something I'd choose to share with anyone, like they'd even want to.

I guess I just don't get the narcisscistic bent of today's hunters.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:42 pm

I'll admit that I actually do enjoy watching hunting programs as long as the hosts have some personality and the hunts don't come across as being canned. However; as far as filming myself, I'm not that much of a narcissist nor am I coordinated enough to handle both the equipment needed to film and my gun and other gear. In fact, I've always been a clutz, and now that I have Parkinson's, it's even worse!!!!!!!!!! Maybe one of these days when a really good gun mounted camera that is affordable, easy to use, and actually takes quality video becomes available I might decide to try it; but 'til then I'm content with the movies that remain in my head!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:22 pm

To sit in a tree by myself and try to film myself killing a deer is WAY more hassle than I want to add in to my hunting. I have a hard enough time killing deer as it is. To worry about getting the shot on film would make me enjoy it a lot less.

However, I have often toyed with the idea of taking a video camera out with my wife and having one or the other of us video the other person taking a shot.

Shaman and Woods both make GREAT points about how personal and emotional this endeavor is. I wouldn't want something that is a great memory of anticipation and emotion whittled away to several seconds of watching a deer run away.... However, being a younger guy, (officially 32 since Sunday) I am more accustomed to the fact that almost every aspect of our lives has ended up being filmed either through security cameras or people's personal cameras/phones/etc... I think it would be cool to have some actual hunting footage of myself and my wife out in the outdoors. My children as well, eventually. For me it woudl be kind of like the old home movies of Christmas morning and such.

So for me, I WOULD like to be involved with filming at least some of my hunts to keep for posterity the realistic depiction of how it was to go hunting when I'm older. I wouldn't want to make filming my hunts the primary focus though...you gotta leave some room for those good hunting stories, right?!?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:47 pm

I purchased a double ladder stand this past year specifically for a hunt that my nephew was chosen for in a lottery run by the DNR. It was a 2 week hunt for two people, but only one could actually hunt at a time. I introduced my nephew to hunting so he was nice enough to invite me to be the second hunter My thought was that we would hunt together in the same stand occasionally (we had never done that) and I would try to film it. Non hunters in my family are very supportive and curious about what it is all about. We have the entire family (28 people) over for Thanksgiving every year and since gun season starts the following Monday in Ohio hunting is always a big topic. Well, the first time that we hunted together he had a nice doe come inside 20 yds and while he was waiting for a good angle, I was ready with the camera. Problem was that he was blocking my view and I didn't want to lean out to get the shot on film and scare the deer. I never did get any movie footage, but it was great to actually be there when he got the deer. It would have been fun to have shown that footage the following Thanksgiving.
I agree what Woods and Shaman said that it is a personal thing and that's exactly what I was trying to do...make it a family thing.
Maybe next year.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:13 am

I'm actually not without some experience in this. Ever since Mooseboy's first yute hunt back in 2002, I have tried on and off to film one of the kids hunting. Ohio, you fell into the same trap I did. Buddy stands are not good for filming. The angle is all wrong. Actually, if you want to be assured of a good position, the standard procedure I've seen is to get up and behind the shooter's dominant arm. Usually that means a second stand hung above the first one. That's a lot of work, and a lot of chances to get busted by the deer.

I suppose my worst fear of being filmed myself is that somehow the camera would have an effect on me such that I would become one of those fist-pumping, high-fiving turds you see on TV jumping on the carcass, grabbing the antlers and twisting the animal's neck like they're fixing to ride it home like a bicycle.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:18 am

[quote="shaman"

I suppose my worst fear of being filmed myself is that somehow the camera would have an effect on me such that I would become one of those fist-pumping, high-fiving turds you see on TV jumping on the carcass, grabbing the antlers and twisting the animal's neck like they're fixing to ride it home like a bicycle.[/quote]

This is a little off subject, but many years ago my golfing buddies and I decided to film each other teeing off. It was a disaster. All four of us topped the ball or hooked it. Still funny to watch, but the pressure was too much to handle.

cowboystl1

Postby cowboystl1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:18 am

i try to film my hunts but i find myself hunting and not filming im not gonna film and then get the shot or try and wait till i get the film and then try to shoot. i have seen a lot of turkey hunts blown cause the camera man wa like wait let me get some footage. hell no thats my dinner. i am not opposed to filming but i wanna keep it real soon as the shot is presented im dropping the hammer and if its to dark or the camera doesnt have the right angel tough! if it does great! hunter first camera second

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 pm

i am not opposed to filming but i wanna keep it real soon as the shot is presented im dropping the hammer and if its to dark or the camera doesnt have the right angel tough! if it does great! hunter first camera second[/quote]

I absolutely agree with that Cowboy. Making the shot is my goal, not getting it on film.

Dinkus

Postby Dinkus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Woods Walker wrote:I know I'm in the minority on this and have accepted the fact that I am indeed a dinosaur, but I cannot think of anything more boring than having to watch a complete stanger hunt something. Hunting for me is a very personal experience and with the exception of another very personal...ahem...experience is NOT something I'd choose to share with anyone, like they'd even want to.

I guess I just don't get the narcisscistic bent of today's hunters.
I am with you. Old and set in my ways. We have several local outdoor shows on the idiot box (that's Tv to you pups) and none of them are worth watching. The camera work sucks, the editing is nonexistent, I can write better dialoge when I am drunk, most of the show is suckup to the sponsors, plus they all have to turn it into a music video. No thanks guys. That is 30 minutes out of my life that will never get back.

Next

Return to General Discussions