Hinge Cutting

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
rthomas4

Re: Hinge Cutting

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:43 pm

After the ice storms of the last two weeks, most folks won't need to do any hinge cutting in SC and Georgia this year. In fact, I'm worried about my longleaf pines and the damage they sustained, and after I clean up all of the broken tree tops and limbs I can probably create huge bedding areas and blocked access routes all over our property.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 am

Hey RT...hope things down your way weren't as bad is you thought out in the woods. I went out yesterday and headed out again here soon to hinge and drop some trees...we get more than I care for dbl's(Y) and due to our winds when left to grow split down the middle.
We are in a slow melt right now but just received another 4" the other day...yesterdays cam pull shows that the stress is starting to take hold on the fawns. The mature buck and some doe are fighting them in the plots...just not a good situation so the hinging helps....
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:51 pm

The ice damage is even worse than I originally thought. I have some nice pines down across my trails, on my food plots, and some that are crushing other pines that made it through the storms. There are many with the tops broken out and I won't even begin to guess the total weight of all of the limbs that are down and littering everywhere. I've also got a good bit of hardwood damage down in the bottoms and my pecan trees are a real mess with limbs that are broken and hung up in the remaining branches. I found at least a half dozen or so pines (around the fire lines and trails) that will have to be cut down due to the weight of the ice bending them completely to the ground, but not breaking them off, and a few that are barely in the ground and leaning. I'm going to be busy getting everything ready so I can plant right after Easter.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 pm

RT, I'm sorry to hear that...well perhaps it will turn out to do you some good in bedding and maneuvering...if you small game may be great for that as well...too bad about loosing good trees I know the feeling that goes with that...Best of luck

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:57 am

I did some hinging and just plan ole cutting with the bow saw a few days ago...We then went into the deep freeze again and the snow ,still deep, got a hard crust...I just can't go down with the chain saw walking to check cams is killing the knees and ankles...but pulled these today...this is the oak flats and I took out over crowded oak and understory maples. A few fell near and in the 4 long trail plots that connect there...Today I added a second cam to see whats in the plot behind that big pine to the lft.

PICT0171.JPG
PICT0171.JPG (90.94 KiB) Viewed 870 times

PICT0175.JPG
PICT0175.JPG (86.04 KiB) Viewed 870 times

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 am

Nice! Glad to some fat healthy does there. Should be a good season for you next year.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks ..I'm a tad worried though..few fawn are staring to show skeletal frame and this hard crust on the snow is bad...I can't get back in with the chain saw. I messed up both my knees and one ankle the other day breaking through...that area the snow isn't as deep as in the woods and up the hill. I just checked the temps very sunny and 10:35, just 0 degrees...We were the coldest in the area last night at -12 and the winds were brutal so wind chill was much worse...long term...no end in sight... Thank God for all of the pine plantations around here :(

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm

Can you get in with the tractor and a hay wagon? Since I'm ignorant (and don't want to find out) about the problems incurred with snow, I was wondering if you could get in and take some type of feed in for them.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:50 pm

No RT it is illegal in NYS...the best I can do is drop all unwanted trees...I did get in the car a go down the hill...HA! no snow just a mile away and a half mile down you can see some ground...The town I shop in down in the valley has no snow at all ..except the parking lot piles...I came back and took some lime across to the barn with the sled...still breaking through a foot of snow here on the hill...Took the road parallel to our back line on the way home...18 deer were bedded in the farmers hay field...it is open to the south and the pines block the west winds for them...Feeling beTter..they have some open areas near by...We are always the last to get spring here...

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I didn't realize that you couldn't even feed 'em after the season ended. I knew you could plant food plots, but not bait; but figured if they are in deep snow where a food plot previously was providing food, then if access was possible I would reason that putting feed out on that plot without hunting them would be legal. Y'all do have some strange laws up there!

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements