Signs of Spring

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
msbadger

Signs of Spring

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:29 am

Last night Mr B goes to give the boys a treat. He took Angel with him,she's been trained to walk behind us...next thing he knows there is wild squealing behind him...he turns and calls Angel off a rabbit. He had flushed it out of the garage and she instantly snapped it's back killing it...
This morning he goes out to the garage and hears squealing...asks me what it might be..I said perhaps baby rabbits...He calls Angel out to the garage...Good thing! She barked then started screaming and ran toward the door with a huge raccoon attached to her face! She managed to shake it off, but now it's out there and won't let us in...Lol Time to set the trap..not sure if it heard the rabbits and came in to feed or it had been living out there. We never heard a raccoon squeaking like a rabbit before...they usually chatter...These type of things always means springs not far off here...lol
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

msbadger

Re: Signs of Spring

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:34 am

Patient's never my strong suit ...So I had enough of my garage chirping and growling at me as I walked by...First I got George...He is the biggest of our males...mind you every thing is a 1-3 in. sheet of ice...sent him in...I hear the coon growling and George, no sound at all, trots out with it dangling from under his chin..Looking like he hadn't a care in the world...It dropped at the door and ran back in.
Well back to the kennel with him and out comes Dennis. He sniffs around a bit then the coon chatters...sounds from garage are like a bull in a China store . I stand club at the ready when out comes the coon..directly under tractor then to our covered porch..I can't get to it because of the ice but Dennis is right on him and turns with his jaws firmly around the coons back...which is broken but I don't know that. Dennis then trots toward me to give up his prize! Well I'm yelling Good boy!..NO NO! scrambling for the snow pack to run :o . I finally get him to stop and drop, my being far enough away...The coon was still alive but not going any where , so I hit him at the base of his skull...My I'm glad it wasn't pouring out...the thing looked healthy but could rabis be a concern this time of year? It was a young male..not sure if he was alone in the back of the garage...they chewed and dug an entrance in the back( dirt floor)

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Well you have had quite the day there. When I think of Spring I see crocus pushing up through the ground and the smell of fresh grass, not hissing and snarling critters in my garage. I must be different around your house. ;)
Glad you didn't get tangled up with that raccoon. I might have gone in with 38.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Lol well every year I have a run in during spring with raccoons in our woods...just had my 3rd conversation of the day with the health Dept. and he mentioned those are most likely due to litters...I was told I had to go back and check the garage for any thing else and the one major indicator the coon was "hot" was the latching onto the dogs face..so boosters for all of them...they feel I'm safe due to no direct contact and I have no cuts on my hands...I grabbed collars and touched Angel...both her and Dennis have had baths now...George..well he had other plans...but it gave me a chance to check him out..Monday and Tuesday appt....Now I just have to dbl bag it and get it to a dumpster...per order of the health dept....They think the smell of the rabbit was what first attracted it. Hhmm maybe now I can finally get Mr B to build himself a good garage ;) I had the 22 and Mr B had his rifle handy but couldn't shoot in the garage...last year I had 2 chase me up a trail in the woods...I got Angel to drag off one clearing a shot on the other. It looked big until Dennis had it in his mouth chasing me around trying to give me his gift...lol Once I got him to drop it and I clubbed it, did I realize it was a young male..one down hundreds to go. saved a turkey or two today I'm sure. ;)
Last edited by msbadger on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:04 pm

It doesn't matter what the weather or the season, rabies is always a possibility with coons, skunks, and fox. If these animals act abnormally there's usually a reason..........and with coons that reason is often rabies.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Well I took a pic before triple bagging both him and the rabbit seeing they were in the garage together....

IMG_1339.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG (61.11 KiB) Viewed 794 times

IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG (60.22 KiB) Viewed 794 times

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Big rabbit, or small coon?
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:53 pm

A little of both. Fair sized rabbit and a young male coon...Our 130 # shepherd had no problem wrapping his jaw around it's MID section breaking it's back. Then trotting after me...trying to give me his prize...lol

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Glad you are alright, budgie. Couple of years ago, I took the trash out in a college campus area, and had a shedgehammer handle with me for any two legged critters with bad ideas.
When I tossed in the trash, a group of about 5 raccoons came charging out of the dumpster, and straight at me! I killed several, and broke my stick, before the last one or two hightailed it. It was touch and go there for a while. I don't think I have moved that fast in a long time.
And of course, it was pretty much dusk and limited visibility, and the wife screaming in the background (just to improve my aim of course)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Glad the raccoon was dealt with! I had a possum in my yard a few years back. Aren't they supposed to play dead? Well this one had a wound from something biting it, and there were maggots in the wound I could see (quite disgusting), and it was hissing at me. So I dispatched it with the shovel I was using to work on my garden. Makes me wonder if its behavior was adverse due to the injury, or illness. In any case, I just buried it and called it a day.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Next

Return to Off Topic