Power of a friendly voice

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
msbadger

Power of a friendly voice

Postby msbadger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:03 pm

I wanted to share this.... just now I hung my cell phone up from a 14 min wrong # call I received. The person just started talking and I was listening to try and figure out if I knew them...then said " to whom am I speaking?" ...reply "Did I dial a wrong #?"...then the conversation began...Neither of us knew each other but in 14 mins...without divulging our identities..... We had a wonderful time laughing and talking about shoveling drives and funny things we've had happen living out in the country, she live on a hill some where in NY too..Well she thanked me several times for brightening her day...I thanked her as well but, also for being 86 and still shoveling her drive...for I'd just told someone I hoped to be doing ours when I'm 76! wow 86 and in a snow belt ,God bless her! She said something made her dial my particular # ...for it was an out of state family member she was trying to reach, but she needed me...Worth every minute we spoke for she made my day as well. The funny thing was I was reviewing the post I made showing pics of the drive I shovel for exercise...Life's funny! One good opportunity I did not miss by being annoyed or too busy...
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Ohio farms

Re: Power of a friendly voice

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Life is a circle sometimes. I'm impressed with the both of you for continuing your conversation. I'm good at not just cutting someone off for dialing the wrong #, but I don't ever recall being anything but brief.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm

I always try to be nice on the phone, it is part of what I do for a living. Very rarely is it more than a few sentences though, when it is a wrong number. Most people act like you did something wrong, when THEY dialed a wrong number! Glad you had a good chat, with a friend you didn't know you had.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Simple...it's called the golden rule. Works too!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Thank you for relaying your story! That sounds like a really neat and valuable conversation. These days people don't reach out so much in the same ways they used to. There was no other way but to talk to strangers.

Your story made me think of a friend I've someone recently met, by this I mean several months ago, via Facebook. (Don't knock it just yet, it comes to bear). I "liked" a picture of hers and asked her a question about her cats, and we became "friends" on there to discuss the answer and the topic. But it's developed into buddies in a way, as she hails from Florida, and I grew up there, so there is some mutual teasing about the weather. Just friend stuff, and this transpired because a question was asked.

Back time up to about 1993, and you'll find me on my one-line BBS, calling other BBSs, meeting people locally that way, over the computer. I don't really know a lot of people I haven't met over the computer or through my airsoft hobby. What does that mean? I am not sure, but maybe the evolution of how people interact is becoming so different that a random encounter on the phone is a delightful break from the regimented way that people interact otherwise: online a good portion of the time.

This is one big reason why I turn off my computer at work and go visit other in their cubes and offices. If I ever receive such a nice, random phone call, I will enjoy it as well. :-) Good message!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:40 am

The last wrong number phone call I received, I asked my usual question of "who are you trying to call", the result was the guy on the other end cussed me out and told me it wasn't any of my business who he was trying to call as he slammed the phone in my ear. I guess it was my fault he dialed the wrong number, but when I get those calls, especially on my cell phone I only ask in case they were trying to call Travis, my brother, or my nephew in which case I would happily provide them with the correct number.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Off Topic