Damned Coyotes

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sierra

Damned Coyotes

Postby Sierra » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:27 pm

So here I was catching up on posts on the forums here, and the yip yip yipping and other generally coyote noises I don't know how to spell start to happen. So my dog goes nuclear, and I open the window and to limited success, tell the coyotes to shut up. I saw one scurry off. Then I hear them in the front, and my husband comes down from bed.

It was more fuss from the coyotes than we were used to. But we live in a neighborhood, obviously not too close to town, but it's not like we can shoot them. I guess my only hope is they help control the deer around here that we also can't shoot.

I can't wait until the kids around both grown and we can head for the country.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

rthomas4

Re: Damned Coyotes

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:33 am

A good adult pellet gun or a .22 with cb caps will work on em. Even if you don't kill 'em, if you wound them bad enough the other 'yotes will turn on 'em and kill 'em for food. Just aim for the gut and that should do the job.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:37 pm

rt: With all due respect, that's disgusting. I have no compunction about hunting coyotes but when I do I strive for a clean kill just like I would on a deer. Yes, bad shots happen and sometimes the game we hunt suffers a bad end. But I for one do everything in my power to see to it that it DOESN'T happen. Never would I ever INTENTIONALLY do that to an animal.

I hope that was just bravado on your part and not something that you really do. You're better than that....I hope.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:21 pm

I always shoot to kill when hunting any animal; however, it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit to seriously wound and not retrieve a damned no good 'yote! I seriously recommend my suggestion above to folks who live inside city limits, where they can't use a weapon due to ordinances against firearms or archery tackle. In the case of a virulent pest such as coyotes, I don't feel they deserve the same respect as a deer or any game animal that is hunted for food. I've seen the fawns and poults these foul creatures destroy, and I've killed 'em when they were in the process of attacking young deer. I've also experienced the loss of meat due to their getting to a dead deer before it could be recovered. I've also found their dens and witnessed for myself how they will wantonly kill and bring their dead prey back and it's left to rot and feed the vultures because they over killed more than enough to feed their pups. To me, coyotes, coy dogs, and feral dogs and cats are simply pests to exterminate in order to preserve my food!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

A coyote, or a wolf or a deer for that matter are all God's creatures, and are ONLY doing what they are genetically programed to do. One is no worse than the other, and certainly we humans are in NO position to judge their motives. I find your attiude about purposely wounding an animal most unfortunate, irresponsible, barbaric, and sadly to be a black eye for hunting.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:09 pm

While coyotes are not on my buddy list, I do believe that they are not evil or wasteful or any other distasteful human characteristic that we might bestow upon them. They are as you said Woods, genetically programed to do what they do. Walt Disney did the same with our more admirable traits. It's a slippery slope.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:36 pm

That's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion if we all had the same thoughts the world would certainly be a boring place. As I stated I always shoot to kill; but I refuse to assign human traits and behaviors to animals. I depend on my hunting for my food, and just as a rat, mouse, or any other pest might get into the pantry and destroy my food coyotes and wolves do the same. Even though I hunt to provide meat for the table, I also hunt to kill. I don't "harvest" deer, I kill 'em and a day spent hunting without the opportunity to kill is a wasted day since I believe people who claim to derive pleasure from simply being in the woods are deluding themselves and denying their reason for hunting in the first place. Since I'm an Agnostic, I don't have the same religious views that most of you espouse, and certainly don't buy into the Disney propaganda of all animals just being people in a furry skin. When I enter the woods, I see my grocery store and when I see a coyote I see vermin out to destroy my groceries.
So, in this particular instance we'll just have to agree to disagree; and I certainly don't bear any ill will towards anyone with a different view point on the subject.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:29 pm

RT RT...you were doing OK up to:

a day spent hunting without the opportunity to kill is a wasted day since I believe people who claim to derive pleasure from simply being in the woods are deluding themselves and denying their reason for hunting in the first place.

Now You were right, we are all entitled to our opinions ...but the above quote was more of a judgement...and really you've read my post for several years now and have to know the above quote isn't accurate for everyone. It's difficult for ppl to not see the dbl standards we all have when it comes to wild life...never does one hear of the humane taking or lack of taking a mouses life or a rats life...yet they are Gods creatures as well...drowning muskrats or beavers isn't exactly humane nor is it quick you men out there hacking up those dreaded garter snakes... ppl don't talk about it and well they don't "LooK " like the family pet...One never hears about the leg traps that are found with just a foot in them or whats left of an animal that yotes saw trapped and tore limb from limb...So I'll throw no stones about your honesty...save the above quote.. ;)
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:24 pm

MsBadger, I mainly directed that comment towards the television hunting program hosts who always make those claims after either missing a shot, not getting a shot, passing a shot, or never seeing anything to shoot. After all, they are getting paid to kill critters not make claims that aren't necessarily their true feelings. I will admit, I also seem to read a lot of posts on various hunting sites from folks who claim they've been hunting for years; but never killed anything in their entire life, other than time spent in a deer stand, who make the same claims of just being thankful for the time spent in the outdoors! Like, I believe that's truly how they feel? I know that if I had spent 20 years or more in pursuit of hunting and had never killed anything I'd drop hunting and play golf or bowl for a hobby.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:36 pm

rt: Where did I say that that animals were just people in furry skin??

"...don't buy into the Disney propaganda of all animals just being people in a furry skin."

And I CERTAINLY never said that you shouldn't hunt coyotes or that they don't need to be controlled, so stop making things up. Once again, my beef with you is simply this....

" Just aim for the gut and that should do the job."

Hey! Why not? Gut shots are always fatal. It's a long, drawn out death, but what the heck, you're there to KILL, and that will certainly kill them. The reason why you don't purposely shoot deer in the guts is that they're a lot harder to find, so your grocery shopping trip would be less productive, right?

And if you have no respect for wildlife (and no matter what human trait/motives/behaviors that YOU ascribe to coyotes they are none the less wildlife in every sense of the word and only doing what all other wildlife tries to do...survive) other than groceries on the table, and would purposely gut shoot an animal because it doesn't meet your definition of being "worthy" then we have nothing to discuss because the majority of us see it quite differently. .
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Next

Return to Off Topic