New technology..Good/Bad?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
msbadger

New technology..Good/Bad?

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 am

A article I read, made me do a search on personal drones. To my surprise they are pretty reasonably priced...a water proof one for around 300. add a Go Pro, which one may already have and what 600 together? How many have them and are using them to scout?...The article I read was the forest service saying no to their use as a hunting tool. What are your thoughts and would you want someone to be able to remotely "scout" your posted hunting lands? Could they be used to "drive" deer?
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Woods Walker

Re: New technology..Good/Bad?

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:12 am

Farfetched? I think not. And simply driving deer is the least of it. Look at the Youtube link. The technology is already there. An extreme case? Yes, but as we all know, if it can be done then some will do it.

And it wouldn't be all that far a stretch to mount a crossbow on this thing either.

http://youtu.be/SNPJMk2fgJU
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 am

WTH Woodsie...I don't have enough crap going on in our own Gov. to keep me up nights...You show me this ! :roll: ;)

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 am

The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 am

Any how... I was trying to keep this in the realm of hunting and thoughts on the of use as a hunting/scouting tool...Are ther ppl out there using them now? is there should there be rules regarding the usage on private/state lands...Thoughts?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 am

They're already using them, and this is from 4 years ago!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fie ... me-cameras

And really, the armed drone thing isn't all that farfetched. In fact, I'll bet they catch someone doing that very thing this upcoming season.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:26 am

Ya NYS trying to get rid of the feral hogs...Cheaper than flying wooded areas with helicopters and guys shooting out the door :roll: Eye roll because up state NY is not the same topography as say,Texas.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Down here, there isn't much discussion about using them to scout or spy on deer numbers across property lines. The biggest objection as been to the groups like PETA using them to film and disrupt hunts. Many of you probably read about the PETA drone (that was actually a Radio Shack RC helicopter with a camera attached) that was shot down by guides at Broxton Bridge Plantation a few years ago during a pigeon shoot. The courts ruled that the guides were perfectly within their rights to shoot it down because of SC's law that makes it illegal to harass hunters legal pursuit of game. On top of that the PETA group had parked their vehicle and were operating the "drone" from the plantation's property across the highway from the field where the hunt was being conducted. That case actually ended up with the PETA people being charged with trespassing and hunter harassment. Needless to say, here in Hampton and Colleton counties, we haven't had a lot of "drone" activity since then! On the other hand, my place is very close to the county airport and the National Guard compound. This past season I was sitting in one of my deer stands when a fully armed Army attack chopper kept buzzing and targeting me. It had the full arsenal of rockets mounted under the wings, and it was close enough I could see the Gatling gun barrels as it swiveled side to side and up and down while it hovered over me. I could easily see the pilot and the gunner as they watched me. I'm guessing they were just fooling around and having a good time; but I'll admit I did pull the hammer back on the T/C with it resting on the gun rail on the front of the stand. I know that a 150 grain .308 bullet against an armored chopper would have only been like a mosquito bite on Kevlar, but they hovered for so long I wasn't sure what to expect!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:40 pm

RT, you have brought up another aspect of these..was not new but now the prices are coming down so it will open the potential usage of them.
Now add this, what if due to budgets the DEC/DNR's across the country find using these will free up man hours. When call of potential illegal activity is reported...we know how PETA type enjoy doing that...and the state agency decide to use those to monitor your lands.

How would you react if say..You were set up a couple of hundred ft off a field you planted and you could glass a bunch of nice deer buck and doe when all of a sudden they spook and run toward your neighbors hunting grounds. Now you realize he could glass that field from his place and sent a drone in to spook them his way...Thoughts?

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm

How would you react if say..You were set up a couple of hundred ft off a field you planted and you could glass a bunch of nice deer buck and doe when all of a sudden they spook and run toward your neighbors hunting grounds. Now you realize he could glass that field from his place and sent a drone in to spook them his way...Thoughts?[/quote]

I'd be pissed.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Next

Return to General Discussions