Damned Coyotes

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
msbadger

Re: Damned Coyotes

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:15 am

Thanks for that Kellory...different attitudes for different areas...BTW slingshots with an arm brace are illegal in NYS...I carry a regular one with out a brace for rodents during deer season... ;)

I do have to add, just because the comparison was made about deer...in NYS we have nuisance permits that the DEC gives out quite liberally to Farmers. In our area one such farmer was turned in because dozens of deer carcasses were discovered in a gully by a hiker...Well with liberal permits allowing night hunting of doe only with any legal weapon allowed in this state and during the summer months.....what would one do with the excess deer? He got a substantial fine and then told the ppl( regular hunters) he allowed to hunt those nuisance deer to gut shoot them so they would run off his property or at least his fields to die. That was not deemed illegal.

I mention this because when you take a species such as a deer and hunt it during a special season, we ppl attach a special quality to it. Then put that same species into the category of being a nuisance or vermin out of season and we tend to quickly diminish what ever quality we see during that special hunting season. They become no more special or deserving of respect than the mice or rats we slowly poison or trap and drown or snap in traps to slowly suffocate. Just food for thought. Whether anyone speaks of this or not...I know that in farm country it is a common practice and I would lay even odds not just in this state either.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:34 am

LOL! Funny how something can go from noble to despicable in a matter of a few months when it's acting no differently isn't it?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 am

I play airsoft, and we use guns that are quite pricey and shoot in excess of 400fps. Sometimes 600fps. I have been shot in the face by one of these (430 fps) at about 20 feet. (That was delightful). I got a nasty welt. Additionally, I shot my brother in the buttcheek with a pellet rifle pumped up as much as I could physically pump it, and it left an abrasion. So I am not sure what pellet and BB guns these are that would seriously gut wound a coyote. And unless suppressed, they still make enough noise to concern the neighbors. That aside....

There is a difference between animals rights and animal welfare. I don't consider myself anthropomorphic to any extent. (Though if you shot my cat you'd be in a world of trouble.) I am a believer in animal welfare. By this I mean, animals should be treated decently and killed in a decent fashion. I DO consider coyotes to be pests, and they are imbalanced in population due to the fault of humans and our own urbanization and overpopulation, period. When they are overpopulated in farmland, it's because people don't see a point to hunt them. Or maybe consider it too challenging for little reward (meat). I can't guess, because we hunt them when and where we can. People should hunt them also.

I don't think being agnostic is relevant, really. It's a matter of morality and consideration. (Certainly I can't say kindness.) I know when I hunt I am out there to kill an animal. I harvest my tomatoes.

My entire point was, and this is my second post regarding hunting within a "neighborhood", is the inability to do anything. The inability to do anything I translate into the inability to do anything legally and humanely.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:34 am

msbadger wrote:Then put that same species into the category of being a nuisance or vermin out of season and we tend to quickly diminish what ever quality we see during that special hunting season. They become no more special or deserving of respect than the mice or rats we slowly poison or trap and drown or snap in traps to slowly suffocate. Just food for thought. Whether anyone speaks of this or not...I know that in farm country it is a common practice and I would lay even odds not just in this state either.

Very valid point about the hunting seasons. We have a severe lack of people coyote hunting here. At least in my area of Ohio.

As an aside, I used to run an animal rescue. My primary rescues were reptiles, as their adoptability was pretty limited. They had to eat too, of course, and that required all sizes and maturities of mice, rats and rabbits. Many captive reptiles can only eat dead food. So I would kill each animal very efficiently and quickly. So I guess I can say my view on how animals should be killed extends to rodents. I will be the first to admit I have not been overrun by them.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 am

Woods Walker wrote:LOL! Funny how something can go from noble to despicable in a matter of a few months when it's acting no differently isn't it?

Someone actually called a yote "noble"?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 pm

I was refering to deer in badgie's above post.

"....when you take a species such as a deer and hunt it during a special season, we ppl attach a special quality to it. Then put that same species into the category of being a nuisance or vermin out of season and we tend to quickly diminish what ever quality we see during that special hunting season. "
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic