They have had enough....

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
msbadger

They have had enough....

Postby msbadger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Our dogs start barking and I look out to see a herd of deer walking up the hill...down the middle of the road. I counted 11 but think I missed the first ones. I think they were headed 1/4 mile up the road to the neighbors Bird feeder. It's a huge thing that holds 100#'s of seed in their front yard. We received another 4 in. of snow today ,walking in the woods is just horrible . I also found new tracks of 3 big yotes that cut our property...safer on the road and near homes now. the next 4 days are calling for low subzero night temps ,with more snow and day temps in the teens /low twenties.
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Woods Walker

Re: They have had enough....

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:52 pm

I clicked on this thread thinking it was about gun owners that live in Connecticut!! ;)

Seriously, if they're still on their feet, they'll probably be alright. The worst of it should be about over...I hope!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:48 pm

At least you are getting 20's. Our high today was just around zero F. And snow is over knee deep. Wondering how many deer will be left.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:54 am

Oh there's no doubt ours will survive . MZS you guys have it way worse, weather wise, than us...Well NYS Tug Hill Platue may give you a run for your money. Then you have the wolves and yotes to deal with I do not envy you guys during the winter. The thing here right now, is the crust in between the layers of snow. Some places you are walking on top and suddenly you break through 12in of snow trapping your leg. It expends a great deal of energy trying to navigate.

Spring must be on the way Woodsie...There deer are starting to loose some of there winter coat I'm finding clumps of it around the woods and in bedding areas...So either we have some deer too stressed and on the slide or their internal systems know something we don't and are naturally dropping coat.

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 am

msbadger wrote:Oh there's no doubt ours will survive . MZS you guys have it way worse, weather wise, than us...Well NYS Tug Hill Platue may give you a run for your money. Then you have the wolves and yotes to deal with I do not envy you guys during the winter. The thing here right now, is the crust in between the layers of snow. Some places you are walking on top and suddenly you break through 12in of snow trapping your leg. It expends a great deal of energy trying to navigate.

Spring must be on the way Woodsie...There deer are starting to loose some of there winter coat I'm finding clumps of it around the woods and in bedding areas...So either we have some deer too stressed and on the slide or their internal systems know something we don't and are naturally dropping coat.

The "crust" coupled with predators can really take a toll on the deer. Back when I was a kid living in central WI, folks let their dogs run loose all over and these dogs would pack up and kill deer when the snow crusted over as you say. Back then we had very few coyotes compared to these days, but the dogs did some damage.

I hope it warms up for all of us!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:03 am

What causes deer, or any other animal that lives outside, to shed it's winter coat is day length. It's not just your deer that are doing that because my horses are also starting to lose some winter coat. The spring equinox is only 19 days away. Nature can be cruel, but it's always right.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:33 am

Lets hope this weather breaks before they loose too much insulation...Saw a post on TH where a temp in MN.? was a -44 last night...perspective perspective....That sorta put us in a heat wave...lol :?

Return to General Discussions