Golf range finder in hunting?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
FindingNemo

Golf range finder in hunting?

Postby FindingNemo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 am

I'm sure this is a classic rookie's question, but... :P
Is it possible to use golf range finder in hunting purposes? :) I have this Bushnell's finder, and it would be a bit too much if I would go and get a new one now, wouldn't it?

shaman

Re: Golf range finder in hunting?

Postby shaman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:26 pm

The trick will be getting the deer to hold a golfball in its mouth while you are ranging it.

. . . but seriously. . .
Give it a try. Try ranging people in the park at the distances you envision your deer and see what happens. My guess is it will work fine, but I honestly don't know.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:47 pm

If it can pick up the flag stick from 300 yards, I would guess it can pick up a deer at 20.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:49 pm

Use mine in the woods all the time,,,especially when bow hunting. When I get set up, I'll range several objects so if a deer appears near one of them, I've already get a pretty good idea of the distance....

It would range the deer, but usually I'm too busy aiming a weapon by then to think of that..

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:05 am

I have my ranges set up with pvc on my food plots, and of course I know how far from the stands my bait is set. Besides, the .308 isn't particular about distance.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions