How to find Big Bucks?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Msmithe21

How to find Big Bucks?

Postby Msmithe21 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:05 am

Hey guys, so I have been reading a lot lately about hunting looking forward to my second year. I was wondering what everyone's tactics are for finding a locating areas where big bucks are. I was just wondering what areas they like to live in and also how you go about trying to kill one. If it helps I live in New Hampshire so all big woods no farm fields really. Just looking for some good feedback.

-Mike

Woods Walker

Re: How to find Big Bucks?

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 am

Well first off, you have to hunt where there are big bucks. I don't know much about New England but I do about the midwest. So ideally you would get on I-80 and start driving west. Any state along the way who's name starts with an "I" or an "O" would be a good place to start!

Once there, try to find areas with private access. These will usually have less hunting pressure. After that, look for areas that have adjacent heavy cover next to a good feed source like corn. If the cover areas also have terrain features like gullys, swales, hollows and the like so much the better. If you are in an area that has good bucks, then focus on the does and the bucks should be along directly. Spend as much time as possible in the woods when the does are coming into or are estrous. That means STAYING OUT ALL DAY when you plan a full day's hunt and NOT doing the 6-10 then walk in for lunch then back out from 2-6. Being there when the deer are is 90% of the deal.

Have several stand sites picked out. Just because you are out there all day doesn't mean that you have to sit in one spot all day. Mobility is a great asset, especially during the rut when bucks can be everywhere.

Lastly, if it's during the rut and you see a doe acting "breedy", stay put if she passes within range of you and if she's on the other side of the field or ridge MOVE TO WITHIN RANGE! That is the best buck lure you can have, hands down. I prefer to stillhunt during the rut for this very reason. Odds are when the rut is on you may very well see that nice buck only once, let alone get a shot at him, so you have to do whatever you can to make sure that if and when you do see him you will be able to get a shot.

Hope this helps!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:30 am

I've got my own place, so I'm out scouting year 'round. I have no more than a couple mature bucks on the place at any time-- usually much less. The key for me is keeping the doe happy. I provide lots of cover, and as much food as I can, and I try not to pester them too much. They reward me with fawns, and they act as bait come fall.

Bucks roam a lot. The buck I see today may be in the next county by tomorrow. As a result, I have to have something to offer him, if he is going to come by my place. That something is a couple herds of happy, contended doe.

SInce my shoulder went bad a few years ago, I have put down the bow and I'm not strictly a gun hunter. That means I have all of October to scout, and 3 weeks in November to hunt. My strategy is to go where the doe are and watch. Whenever the doe are frequenting, in mid November, the bucks are not far behind. Furthermore, I prefer to hold off shooting a doe, until I am fairly positive that a big buck is not in the cards for me, and then I fill my tags with doe. That way, by holding down the shooting, I encourage deer to come over to my place to escape the fusillade that is occurring all around me. I keep traffic down to a minimum-- no atv's, no joy riding. I want my place to be a deer sanctuary.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 pm

As has been so eloquently stated, the secret is knowing your hunting area, providing food and cover, and then spend as much time as possible in the stand. Keep the does happy, and the bucks will show up; but you can't kill 'em if you aren't out there, and it's that simple!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions