Shed hunt restrictions implemented

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Shed hunt restrictions implemented

Postby Sailfish » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am

wow, unreal

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - Nevada wildlife commissioners have approved a measure making it illegal to collect the felled antlers of deer and elk from early winter to spring.

The board unanimously adopted the rule designed to ease the stress on big game populations during the coldest months when they are most vulnerable to environmental conditions.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal (http://bit.ly/1pt1tc5 ) reports the action taken by the board Saturday in Reno prohibits “shed hunting” from Jan. 1 to April 15.

A proposal to require a Nevada hunting license to collect antlers, which are dropped by the animals every winter, was not approved by the board.

The seasonal ban on antler collection mirrors what other Western states are doing to reduce stress on the animals during the winter months.

Collecting antlers is a growing pastime that can be lucrative. Rob Buonamici, law enforcement division chief for the Nevada Department of Wildlife, said gathering shed antlers has grown in popularity in recent years, both for hobbyists and by commercial interests.

“This was something unheard of 20 years ago,” Buonamici said.

But there has been growing awareness that shed antlers have value, Buonamici said.

“The price is somewhere around $9 to $12 a pound for elk antlers,” he said. “If you find a matched set from a trophy bull elk, they could be worth from $500 to thousands of dollars.”

The antlers are used in a variety of ways, including as chandeliers, furniture or other decorative items.

Nevada’s estimated 17,000 elk are found throughout much of the state. The state’s 110,000 deer are likewise found throughout much of the state.

Most collectors have no intention of harming wildlife, but if they disrupt wintering populations of deer and elk they can do harm, Buonamici said.

There have also been extreme incidents where a collector sees an Elk with a trophy set of antlers still partially attached and uses an all-terrain vehicle to push the animal through trees or brush to get them to fall off.

Collectors can also damage habitat by using ATVs to search for the antlers.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z2wzlNTvdZ
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

TerribleTed

Re: Shed hunt restrictions implemented

Postby TerribleTed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 pm

January ok some but here i seen hard antlers in April gotta love our seasons down here

rthomas4

Re: Shed hunt restrictions implemented

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:49 am

I have pictures of a cow horn that I should have killed this past season, but instead opted to see if he'd turn into something better. He finally shed his left side this past week, but is still sporting the right side in pictures I got from Tuesday. I noticed all of the other bucks finally dropped around the 15th of March, based on pictures.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions