Why do I hunt?

If you used our old forum, please read this ...
leafybear21

Why do I hunt?

Postby leafybear21 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:24 am

I was asked recently why I hunt? And I had to stop and think why anyone does anything. I believe that one should hunt because he has the deepest respect for the animal in which he peruses. He should not care about the size of the rack or the score but instead should care about the adventure at hand. He should just feel blessed to be in the woods. To many people now are concerned about scores and not just happy that they had the chance to hunt and harvest what ever they are after. I hunt because I love the challenge and the chance to out smart a very worthy creature. I eat what I kill and would love to kill a giant every time but am just as happy to kill for the meat. So my question to all is what drives you to hunt?!

Deebz

Re: Why do I hunt?

Postby Deebz » Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 pm

enjoyment and hunger... to keep it simple.

I love being in the woods whether I am successful or not. I also love knowing that I have the ability to provide for my family. I take some serious pride in killing a wild animal and turning the carcass into steaks and burger for the dinner table completely on my own.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

leafybear21

Postby leafybear21 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Awesome! I take great pride in making my own sausage as well,

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu May 08, 2014 3:45 pm

After my first deer that I took to the butcher to process, I decided to do it myself and have done it on my own ever since. I've introduced many friends and relatives to the taste of venison over the years and they all said, "It does not taste gamey at all." When ever I shoot a deer, my next thought is about caring for the meat. I've shot some nice bucks over the years and all of them were exciting, but I guess my goal is to put great tasting venison in my freezer.
Having said all that, if I didn't love being in the outdoors as the sun comes up in the morning or sets in the evening, I would never have become a hunter in the first place. Hunting keeps me in the "here and now" mindset. I'm not thinking about yesterday or tomorrow, just what is going on around me at that moment. It gives me a great perspective on life and the living. I don't know what else causes me to focus in that way.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu May 08, 2014 7:36 pm

I hunt because the very fabric of my DNA demands that I do. Even when I do not have a weapon in my hands I'm still hunting. I can't shut it off. It's who I am. When I'm in the woods hunting then I'm completely at peace with the world and myself. Should my last breaths occur when I'm in the woods then I will consider it a good death indeed. It'd be like I was already in Heaven.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 am

I hunt for the food first, and the adrenaline second. If I don't kill something, then it's been a wasted day unless I've actually seen and passed on an animal or I killed something earlier in the day or the week and want to know what else I might be able to kill the next day or week. I have no altruistic reasons for being in the woods other than the fact that I love to hunt and hunting means killing or setting up a plan to kill in the future. I guess that's why it's a good thing I live in the area I do, since we don't have any limits on the number of deer we can kill, and I supply venison for many other people other than Travis and myself. I also love to hear the hounds run and feel the excitement of anticipation created by knowing there's a possibility that a deer just might get pushed to either Travis or myself. I make no apologies to people for killing, and actually detest hearing hunters claim that they "harvested" an animal. I've never harvested anything other than crops and vegetables and get personal satisfaction when the hunt results in a kill.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 am

Adrenalin is fun and it's fair to say that killing a nice deer is one of the top couple of reasons that I hunt, but I still manage to enjoy myself as long as I at least see deer. There is a rush of adrenalin there too.
My uncle who introduced me to the outdoors told me "If you are only hunting to kill a deer and enjoy nothing else, you will be disappointed most of time" ( at least in Ohio that can be true. Contrary to some beliefs, there is not a deer behind every tree here)
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Vixen

Postby Vixen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:03 pm

:mrgreen:

Return to NEW FORUM FAQ