deer meat best part

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dtrain56

RE: deer meat best part

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 am

I call backstraps the strips of meat you filet from the underside of the spine, from inside the cavity of the animal.
Loins/tenderloins are only accessible after you've skinned the animal; they run on each side of the spine on top of the animal.

I think you got those backwards-

backstraps are on the back -two long thick juicy pieces of meat that run along the spinal cord

tenderloins are the two small filets under the rib cage

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:59 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

I call backstraps the strips of meat you filet from the underside of the spine, from inside the cavity of the animal.
Loins/tenderloins are only accessible after you've skinned the animal; they run on each side of the spine on top of the animal.

backstraps are on the back -two long thick juicy pieces of meat that run along the spinal cord

I'm with dtrain on this one.  You do have it backwards.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:48 am

i third it
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 pm

ORIGINAL: Washburn

In our Wisconsin camp, backstraps are the desired meat, usually consumed the day of the kill. We grill them with a simple mix of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. In my opinion, the finest meat on the planet.
If we have a really successful year we'll freeze a few backstraps and enjoy in the spring as part of Wisconsin Surf and Turf (fresh fried bluegills and backstrap).
After the backstraps, I agree with a lot of you; it's all delicious provided it's field dressed appropriately, cooled quickly, and prepared properly.

Washburn

I call`em just the opposite- I call the tenderloins the stips of meat you cut from inside the body cavity, and the back straps are the rear top, kinda small of the back.

Whatever you call each, they`re fantastic.

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:33 am

I think it might be a regional thing whether you call em loins or backstraps....I defer to my meatcutter brother who refers to them as I do. No matter; both tasty regardless of the name.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 am

ORIGINAL: dtrain56

Dtrain,

I am saying the same thing as you, it is Washburn that I think has it mixed up.  Is that who you were referring to?  In any case, I am in agreement with you since your description and mine match. 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:05 am

Everybody is entitled to their opinion....but a tenderloin is a tenderloin regardless of animal...rabbit...steer...deer...it doesn't matter.
If you don't want to take my word for it Google a diagram of a steer...the tenderloin of an animal runs along both sides of the spine...accessible only by removing the hide.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 am

ORIGINAL: Washburn

Everybody is entitled to their opinion....but a tenderloin is a tenderloin regardless of animal...rabbit...steer...deer...it doesn't matter.
If you don't want to take my word for it Google a diagram of a steer...the tenderloin of an animal runs along both sides of the spine...accessible only by removing the hide.

Washburn

I beg to differ, but different strokes for different folks.  A steer is very different than a cervid, but IMO the most tender meat that is a "loin", should be called the tenderloin, don't you think.  There are also more cuts on a steer that are not even present on a deer carcass, so comparison between the two is negligable.  Apples and oranges comparison.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

VAHunter

Postby VAHunter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:23 am

the sweet meat...aka the inner loin

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:30 am

We call the two sides that are inside next to the spine the "inner loins"

The two long strips outside, between the front and hind quarters that you typically fillet off either side of the spine we call backstrap or loins.

Another name we give to the inner loins is "the poison meat". This stemming from old camp lore about selling that name to a new deer hunter and talking them into letting you remove the "poison meat" before it "spoiled" the rest of your deer. To this day we never leave that in the deer once hung. Even with family, lest you leave yourself open to a strange disappearance and subsequent teasing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions