Hunters Register 276,985 Deer in November Hunt

Corey Graff

Hunters Register 276,985 Deer in November Hunt

Postby Corey Graff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 am

MADISON – A call-around count of deer registration stations across Wisconsin conducted by Department of Natural Resources staff has yielded a preliminary kill tally for the just-ended 9-day November gun deer hunt of 276,985.

While the call-in tally appears to be down in parts of the state, this number is preliminary and is expected to change before a final report is published in late winter. It does not include harvest information from the archery, October antlerless deer gun hunt, muzzleloader, December antlerless deer gun hunt or late archery seasons.

A table of county by county harvest broken down by DNR Region (pdf; 81 kb), with comparison to the 2007 preliminary harvest is available on the DNR Web site.

"Hunters have been doing a good job, and deer populations may be moving toward healthy goals," said Keith Warnke, DNR big game biologist. "Their commitment and involvement are having a positive effect and will help to ensure a healthy deer herd in the future for them and for a younger generation of hunters who are coming up through the ranks."

"We still need to look at all the numbers from all deer seasons before we can say anything for sure," said Warnke, "but it looks like our estimates of winter mortality and fawn production may be off, which if it proves true, would lead to over estimation of the pre-hunt population.

"Preliminary counts seem to indicate a lower than predicted deer population. That may indicate that deer populations could be moving toward healthy population goals."

Many factors could have impacted this year's hunt say wildlife managers including winter conditions lasting longer into spring than estimated and a late, cool spring which caused lower fawn production than average. Fawn production statewide was the lowest it has been in 15 years. The deer season was also quite late, past the rut in most parts of the state, meaning deer were not moving as much as hunters might have hoped.

Hunters across the state have commented that there appeared to be fewer deer in the woods than could be expected from prehunt population predictions. While this comment was common, registrations in the DNR's South Central Region actually increased 3 percent over last year and the Southeast region held pretty steady, dropping about 4 percent.

The DNR's West Central Region and Northeast Regions are coming off of several years of herd reduction and earn-a-buck season structures designed to lower numbers to healthy populations. The preliminary results would seem to indicate that the strategies are working, say wildlife managers.

"In the final analysis, once all the numbers are in, it is possible that there will be fewer herd control and earn-a-buck units in the coming season," Warnke said.

As happens every year, department wildlife managers and scientists will be closely analyzing this year's hunt data and making any necessary adjustments for 2009 seasons. Wildlife managers will be examining a number of factors including age and sex structure of the harvest, expected over winter mortality, and fawn production rates. A recent audit by national experts indicated Wisconsin's deer population prediction method is among the best in North America.

"It is our job to manage this icon of Wisconsin wildlife in a manner consistent with our responsibility to protect and sustain our wildlife resources and traditions and we take that responsibility very seriously," said Warnke. "We use the most accurate data available to manage deer. We constantly strive to balance a healthy and sustainable herd with public opportunities for a safe, productive and enjoyable hunt."

gunther89

RE: Hunters Register 276,985 Deer in November Hunt

Postby gunther89 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:59 am

Wow it sounds like Warnke might actually be listening to hunters and getting us out of earn a buck units.  That's gotta be a first.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:10 am

ORIGINAL: Corey Graff
"Hunters have been doing a good job, and deer populations may be moving toward healthy goals," said Keith Warnke, DNR big game biologist. "Their commitment and involvement are having a positive effect and will help to ensure a healthy deer herd in the future for them and for a younger generation of hunters who are coming up through the ranks."

"We still need to look at all the numbers from all deer seasons before we can say anything for sure," said Warnke, "but it looks like our estimates of winter mortality and fawn production may be off, which if it proves true, would lead to over estimation of the pre-hunt population.

"Preliminary counts seem to indicate a lower than predicted deer population. That may indicate that deer populations could be moving toward healthy population goals."

COULD BE moving towards healthy population goals...That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.  I think we're already way past that.

Have a healthy deer herd in the future for the younger hunters coming through the ranks...With how kids are, how are they going to enjoy being out in the woods hunting when there aren't any deer to see?  It's just like fishing, if you can keep their interest with catching fish it's a good bet they'll continue to do it once they get older.  They already say that our hunting population is getting older and older every year...This probably won't help any.  I am going to look for some drastic changes next year and then maybe I can forget all about this.  That EAB map for possible units next year, well before these numbers came out, was practically the whole state.  Hopefully that changes and they take the T-Zone hunts out.  Something needs to give...I think that starts with taking Warnke out and putting someone new in there that knows what's going on.  My two cents!

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:13 am

Wow, we might actually have a normal bow and gun season next year. That would be amazing. My only question is will they keep them in the CWD zones, because where i hunt is right on the outskirts of where the majority of the CWD has been found. The CWD threat in that area might be enough for them to want to keep EAB, or at least a herd reduction zone. I dont think ide mind a herd reduction zone as much, because then i at least have a buck tag. But in either case, i hope its just a normal season, no EAB, HRZ, or early and late antlerless hunts.

hunterandson

Postby hunterandson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:48 am

I agree with Buckhunter. The first thing we need to do is run Keith Warnke out of here. Healthy deer herd? How is it that when I first started hunting 22 years ago I would see 75 deer on opening weekend, now I have not seen that many deer in 6 opening weekends. What is wrong with having more deer in the woods? I do not know about you but I do not think that is normal or acceptable to sit on stand for a few hours and not see 1 deer, whether it be bow hunting or gun hunting. Other states have higher deer per square mile but I don't see them eradicating there herd. Their deer seem to be healthy. I have yet to see an unhealthy deer. Who knows how long CWD has been around but as soon as they found one positive test it is time to eradicate our whole herd? How is it helping our younger generation. I sat with my 11 year old son for a total of 33 hours this year and he saw a total of 5 deer and we were hunting in the CWD Barneveld area where there is suppose to be soo many deer. That is a long time for a kid to sit and not get bored. It also states in the DNR's news release that Wisconsins method for predicting deer populations is among the best in North America. What a joke, I would like to know their formula for estimating it. Apparently a college degree overcompensates for common sense. Why don't they get out there and do some head counts, and speak with the hunters. They admitted they MAY have overestimated the herd, they did not take into account the harsh winter and late spring. And they never bring up the overpopulation of the wolves in the north woods or how far they are starting to spread to the south. I have heard reports of wolf sightings in the Wrightstown, Chilton and as far south as Barneveld. They will not admitt this though. Wisconsin was intended to support 300 wolves. There are estimates that there are over 550 now, with only one big game animal for them to feed on. When wolves roamed this state years ago, they had more than just deer to feed on. 550 wolves X 18 deer per year, 9900 deer. Seems like a small percentage but over a couple of years. Also, these wolves will approximately double by next year, each female produces 5-6 pups a year and they do not have any natural predators. A group of 22 hunters that I spoke with, that hunt in Vilas county, and always have seen and bagged their fair share of deer saw 3 deer and took 2. How pathetic. Ask them what they think of the reintroduction of wolves. I do not know where Keith Warnke got his Big Game Biologist degree but if he does not start listening to the hunters in this state he is going to run a multimillion dollar business into the ground. A lot of Wisconsin businesses depend on the deer hunting tradition to make their money, from guns, ammo, clothing all the way down to deer feed. 846,000 gun licenses were sold this year at $24 = $20,304,000 that does not include archery or bonus tags. What is the DNR doing with all that money? They sure are not using it to improve the deer herd or looking out for the our future. GET KEITH WARNKE OUT OF HERE!

highview72

Postby highview72 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:01 am

You guys who think Warnke is moving toward a non-eab hunt need to re-read what he is saying. He is admitting that they may have overjudged the population but in the same breath says that we are "moving toward a healthier deer herd". Maybe it just me but all I hear is that his plan is working and this is the future of deer hunting in Wisconsin. If he is allowed to stay in charge this year will be the norm from here on. If we are at his population goal right now then the number of deer that were in the woods pre hunt this year is exactly where he wants it to stay. In other words......if you saw 1 or 2 deer this year, that what you should be seeing next year and so on.

WIbuckmaster

Postby WIbuckmaster » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 pm

i would love to see that idiot out of wisconsin and out of america, he is ruining the wisconsin tradition of always seeing and shooting deer, he should get out and we should help run him out
There aren't as many deer out there as the DNR THINKS!!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Ok guys, let's be mature about this.  We all disagree with how the DNR is handling things and we all want Warnke out, but we don't need to be namecalling. 

On another note, highview72, yea, I think that's funny where he said that they screwed up but still they are 'moving in the right direction.'  I'm anxious to see what they decide for next year.  Hoping for the best...And sending letters/emails to my reps!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Buckhunter, thanks!

All this venting and discussion is great. Even if I don't agree with everything everybody says, I love the passion. This is what is so great about us WI hunters we are passionate about our hunting and conservation. Please keep up the great discussions and interesting points. Its great getting all the sides and all the different views. Just please keep it family friendly because thats the way these forums are designed. Thanks!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

WIbuckmaster

Postby WIbuckmaster » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:56 am

do we have to be nice about everything we do guys, no, sometimes you just need to get things off you chest because it is bugging you so much and this is one aspect that is really bugging me bad, the guy doesnt know what he is doing and yet he is still working for WI, we should all file complants to the DNR to kick him out because he drove one states deer into the ground but we arent going to let him do it to our state
There aren't as many deer out there as the DNR THINKS!!

Next

Return to Wisconsin