DNR's latest plan to attack CWD in Wisconsin

gunther89

DNR's latest plan to attack CWD in Wisconsin

Postby gunther89 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07 am

Was reading the Capital Times today and noticed that the DNR had a new plan to stop CWD in Wisconsin.  There new plan calls for extending the hunting to March 31 for landowners in the CWD management area and would also have the same regulations till 2012.  They will also have sharpshooting in public and private land as long as given permission.  To me the DNR is getting dumber every year.  This looks just like the plan they introduced when CWD was first found and there plan failed miserably.  They claim that this plan will prevent CWD from spreading outside the CWD zone, but I really don't think it will.  To me its just another way of trying to thin out the deer herd even though it says in the article that deer hunters are doing there part in taking out deer but then why shoot more deer.  Other states have had CWD like  Colorado and Canada has had it to but they don't have any special hunting seasons or extended seasons to get rid of it.  CWD has been around forever and it will be around until I die.  Its just a way of trying to balence out deer numbers just like winter does with winter die offs.  Once again the Wisconsin DNR is not listening to hunters and what they want.  The Wisconsin DNR is just a big joke in my opinion.

bigwisconsinbucks

RE: DNR's latest plan to attack CWD in Wisconsin

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Wow. I can't believe this. The DNR is fricken nuts if they want a 5 month season again. That is so crazy! I really don't understand the DNR. I thought they were doing what the hunters wanted again and keeping the seasons traditional. What a joke!
Kyle

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:26 pm

That's ridiculous!  They just amaze me let me tell you...Kind of like the early antlerless hunt which I'm totally against and think it should all be taken care of in December after the gun hunt.

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:46 am

I agree with you guys.  Also I don't think the DNR can count deer.  There estimates in my area are way high! 

Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:27 am

We posted a story on the proposed plan that you can read Here

There are audio messages from DNR, summaries and links to download the plan itself.
Corey Graff
Online Editor - Outdoors/Firearms
F+W Publications, Inc.
700 East State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
t715.445.4612 x13217

bowhunter53

Postby bowhunter53 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:42 am

I am completely disgusted with our DNR. Why are they trying to bring back the long gun seasons that didn't work. They have spent millions of dollars to come up with an already failed plan. Brilliant!!! They formed a panel of private citizens to come up with something that will work and now are ignoring what they came up with. CWD has been around for many years and has not affected any thing except a very small percentage of deer. Lets get back to normal gun seasons. No other state is doing what we are, we look stupid, and I believe our DNR is just that,  STUPID!!!

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:43 am

I agree, you can only hunt for so long, i mean 5 months is rediculous. Dont get me wrong, if i could go out hunting every day, i would, but u need to be fair to the game your hunting, expecially in the spring in which this season would go into, i mean you kill a doe and ur gonna end up with 2 to 3 deer cause she will be getting ready to drop her fawns. WDNR is a joke.

Another thing that bothers the heck out of me is the EAB (earn a buck). Where i hunt in the southeastern corner of the state (we have 100 acers just outside of Bong State Park in Burlington). If there is 1.2 million deer of whatever in this state, im really not seeing them. Maybe its just me or the property im hunting on, mainly wetlands, but i really dont see the amount of deer that they are claiming in the area/state.

hunterandson

Postby hunterandson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am

I hunted in a CWD area this year and for the past 4 years. Every year the numbers have decreased with this year only seeing 5 deer during 26 hours of sitting of which only 1 was a doe. The DNR is a joke. I spoke with the landowner and he said they used to see 90 deer on opening morning alone and not one of these CWD infected deer ran itself into a tree. Let nature take care of CWD, it has been doing it for years, long before we ever knew that it was around. Why are we spending millions of dollars. Maybe if the DNR would get out and do a head count and not use some formula they learned in college, they would have a better idea of the actual number of deer out there. Otherwise go back to the original 9 day deer hunt and go back to the drawing for a doe tag. At least when they did that we had a deer herd.

Magnumesox

Postby Magnumesox » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 pm

As for CWD why does the DNR want eab in Cwd units when most of the deer that test positive are bucks. You would think they would want more buck shot. I did not see a doe in the Cwd areas this year i did see 10 bucks but could not shoot one because I did not have my doe yet. Pretty sad  what the Dnr is making use hunters do to shoot a buck. Just my 2 cents.

Return to Wisconsin