Wind Proof

hansonca

Wind Proof

Postby hansonca » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 pm

Anyone have any ideas for cheap wind proof clothing for Wisconsin Gun deer.

PrairieShadow

RE: Wind Proof

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:39 am

All of the cheap stuff that i have ever found tend to be really loud. Spend the extra bucks and get some good stuff. You will be glad you did.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:54 am

i agree with praire shadow. ive got arctic shield bibs and jacket and they do what they say. the jackey however can be a bit noisy for bowhunting. i also have a shirt with the gore windstopper lining that works realy well. as for going on the cheap try a cheap rainsuit under your outer wear. i used to do this years ago when i was just starting out and couldnt afford decent rain gear it'll definitly keep the wind out but it'll  also heat you up alot if you walk in with it on or move around alot as they dont breathe at all.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:27 am

I really like the 10x clothing line.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:16 am

I use the cheap rain gear thing when I go to my mountain hunt. Works well to block the wind and rain but you do heat up. My brother swears by the Arctic Shield clothing line but it is expensive - too expensive for me right now.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:53 am

I have found that fleece pullovers work really well for wind stopping. I have a pair of bibs and a gander mountain guide series orange jacket for gun hunting. the bibs and the jacket block the wind really nice. i dont know what the bibs are made out of, but they are nothing fancy, just average, run of the mill hunting bibs. but they are pretty well insulated, so that probably goes a long way in the wind blocking. in general though, i have found that fleece works great to help block wind.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:54 pm

shop around for the arctic shield, i paid 30 for my jacket from sportsman guide and about 80 for the bibs from ebay.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

wack

Postby wack » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:51 am

try craigslist in your area. I see used hunting cloths and gear on there for sale cheap all the time. A friend of mine just found a blaze orange jacket that retails for about $175, used 1 season and sold for $50.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Scot

Postby Scot » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:13 am

There are a lot of clothing options out there that are wind proof.I have learned a lot about layering and clothing choices from the hiking and mountaineering community.Practically always you want your wind proof layer to be your outer most layer or else you will negatively effect the insulating properties of your other layers.The down side with most truly wind proof garments is that they are loud.There are some windproof fleeces out there many of them can be purchased pretty reasonably from cabela's.There are more high end one's from companies like Patagonia,you can pick one up reasonably by checking in on their web specials over a period of time.
A real inexpensive alternative are those pull over wind shirts that golfers wear.Wear one as your second to the last layer after you have made sure you have enough warm layers under it and then put a fleece layer over the wind shirt to quiet it down.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:42 am

For me ...Viperman said it...I have a couple of windblockers but the krinkle they make when I move drives me nuts...during gun season....well I usually look like a snow man with the # of layers I put on.....mostly fleece

Next

Return to Clothing