How to tell a buck track from a doe track

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
dxthunter57

How to tell a buck track from a doe track

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:49 am

i was wondering
besides the size of the track is there any way to tell the difference between a buck and doe track
is it a buck has like 2 claws in the back

PrairieShadow

RE: How to tell a buck track from a doe track

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:54 am

doe's have them also. I've heard so mayn things about how to tell if it is a buck or a doe, like bucks drag their feet, the claw, bucks hooves are spread wider etc.

the only way i think that is accurate to tell is to be their and see if the animal has antlers on its head or not when it walked by.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:22 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

doe's have them also. I've heard so mayn things about how to tell if it is a buck or a doe, like bucks drag their feet, the claw, bucks hooves are spread wider etc.

the only way i think that is accurate to tell is to be their and see if the animal has antlers on its head or not when it walked by.

That is a dead-sure indicator, but there is another way to tell if you have snow on the ground. Watch were the "yellow snow" marks are on the ground in relation to the track and the way the deer was standing. This is really obvious if you come across a bed.

Plumbing doesn't lie!

And size is a factor, but a minor one, and not very reliable. I have a set of deer legs/feet from that doe I killed last wqeek that was pushing 200 pounds, and believe me, her feet look every bit as big as a buck's!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

coach

Postby coach » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:32 pm

From what I know.....the only sure way....besides usual size and the back claw marking....
The sure way to tell:   A doe's back hoof will step into her front hoof track.  So your seeing 2 tracks in one.
While a buck because of their wider chest.....track are side by side....one in front of other.

good job on the deer Woods Walker.....I just got a nice doe this afternoon at 1:10pm.
There was a doe and a decent buck.  The buck jumped the creek and never saw him until it was too late.  The doe was following....I was prepared for her.  Buck and doe was about the same size. After shooting her in the heart....she ran only 75 yrds, criss crossing with the buck track.  If it wasn't for the blood....there was no way we would of been able to tell which was which.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:03 am

cool
thanks guys...
i felt really dumb asking that question ahha
but what if the doe is walking fast i dont think she will walk in the same track

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:18 am

Then you're pretty much limited to size, small track means young buck or doe, larger track means a mature buck. 

Here's an article that might help some.

http://www.whitetails.com/deer_info/deer_tracks.cfm

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:25 am

Question: in the link ranwin33 provided, they talk about the size in inches of the tracks are they talking how long the tracks are or how wide?

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 pm

There's a couple good books out there that address this issue.  Both Beniot books by Bryce Townsley, two books by R.G.Bernier, and "Hunting Big Woods Bucks" by Hal Blood.  They all give you clues that may give you and indicator whether the probability is higher that it's a buck tract.  The length, width, dew claws, stride, swagger but they get more detailed with urine marks, walking around obsticles and more.  They're all good reading and will give you 80% or so on mature buck tracks but the only way to be sure is to see what's standing in the track.  Good luck.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:16 am

You can always tell a buck track.........but you can't tell it much!!!!  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:59 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Question: in the link ranwin33 provided, they talk about the size in inches of the tracks are they talking how long the tracks are or how wide?

I believe length, without the dewclaws.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign