Need your opinion

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
keystonehunter

Need your opinion

Postby keystonehunter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:58 am

Ok everyone, give me your thoughts on this. Third day of the season, a nice 8 point buck comes out of the swamp, into some brush. Not real heavy, so I can see the majority of his body, broadside, 40 yards. Sun directly in my face.  I place the crosshairs on his shoulder (.45/70, 320 grain hollow point bullets), touch off the shot and ........Nothing! He stands there, and then takes three steps forward. Still in the brush, I aim again but can't pick him up in the scope. I tried three times to gain sight of him and the glare and shadows make it impossible to find him again. Talk about frustrating! Then he finally wises up and takes off in a gallop up the hill.

I place my hat where my gun was and go to the spot where he was standing. No blood, no hair. What gives?  I look at the brush for about 10 minutes and finally see a 2" sapling with a hole and splintered bark. He was standing no more than 5 feet behind that sapling. I look through the hoile and could shoot a laser from the hole directly to my hat. 

So, I hit the sapling that I did not see when I shot. My question is this. Would you expect the bullet to pass through and hit the buck , or did the bullet fragment so much that no part of the bullet hit the buck?

I tracked him for about 2oo yards and no evidence of any hit. He looked completely healthy when he galloped off.

Also, have any of you had problems regaining the sight picture on a sunny day with the buck in shadow? My scope was a fixed 4x and the gun is dead on accurate.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

Patriot

RE: Need your opinion

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 am

Not sure about the fragmenting part of your question.

It sounds like you tracked him to the best of your ability.  Great job on that account.

I can see (no pun intended) how the sun in your scope could have caused you not to see the sapling.

Good luck the rest of the season!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:49 am

Sometimes looking straight into the sun has cause me problems as well in the past.

Also i doubt that the sapling fragmented your bullet but probably defected it off into the unknown.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Unfortunate circumstances but I also commend you on following up on your shot.  Far too many hunters don't, showing that they have no respect for the animal.  I know several parcels of land that were posted to everyone because the landowner found dead deer not recovered after the shot.  It happens sometimes but it should be a rare occurance.
As for your 45-70 slug not hitting it's intended target after passing through a 2" sappling(live I assume) any number of things could have happened.  Even though you have a heavy bullet from a large caliber with tons of energy, a 2" live sappling is going to absorb a lot of it resulting in  dynamics not fully understood.  I've read several articles looking for a 'brush busting' round and they all had the same conclusion-it does not exist.  Every round will deflect when contacting an object, obviously there is a lot of factors that come into play before the end result can be determined but it sounds like you had a 'clean' miss rather than a wounded suffering animal that you may not have recovered.  Good luck I had some good hunts in your State.

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I keep running the scenario throught my mind and what I could have done differently.  The sapling was alive, hardwood. I truly think if the sun was at my back I would have noticed the sapling through the scope. But the glare off the snow and from the sun made it invisible. It's funny, I also hunt with a .280 remington and have never missed a shot. Although the .45/70 has taken its share, all of my misses have come with that gun. Gotta get back on the horse. Good luck everyone. I've hunted NY and fished in Minn. Great states for both.

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Hey Keystone, I have to agree with the others! Sounds like, that sapling sent your bullet far enough off course to cause a clean miss! But, look at the bright side, better a clean miss, than a bad hit!!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:41 pm

Finally another who owns a .280!! I have a custom one i put together a couple few years ago.

My dad had the same thing happen to him with his .270 with year. Hit a twig(pencil size) about 2 feet from the muzzle with the deer only at about 15 paces. Deer just walked off and we followed it almost 3/4 mile with never a speck of blood.  Chucked it up to a clean miss.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Ya, the .280 is a dream to shoot. Mine's 23 years old and has been through hell and back but it really feels like a part of me in the woods. I don't have that "feeling" with the .45/70. Not yet anyway.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:10 am

A Ruger model 77 280 Ackley improved is in the works for me.  Waiting for a barrel.  My gunsmith recommended the caliber as it is a 7 mag without the kick.  Possibly heading to Nebraska in 2010.  The ballistics for both the 280 and the Ackley Imp are great.  Handloading for the 280 only increases its' possible potential. 

Return to General Discussions