Scent Glands

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
DeanoZ

Scent Glands

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:40 am

A fellow hunter is convinced that when a deer snorts to alert of danger he/she will also stamp his/her front hooves thus emitting a a secretion from scent glands that will warn any deer that comes by of danger in that vicinity..and once deer catch wind of it they will avoid that area for a day or two...I dunno, sounds fishy to me.  I know deer have tarsal glands on their hind legs, but was not aware of any on the front.  Also from first hand experience I've not seen too many deer paw at the ground when there is danger, let alone stamp on it.  Can anyone debunk if this is fact or fiction?

Woods Walker

RE: Scent Glands

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 pm

Deer have what is called an INTERDIGITAL gland between the hooves on their feet. What the exact function of these are I'm not sure of, although I believe that it has a lot to do with following trails and keeping track of one another.

I can't say for sure if what your friend said about the stamping of the foot has any connection or not.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:56 pm

I googled this:

http://www.inheatscents.net/interdigitalgland.html

http://www.whitetailstewards.com/glossaryonsite/interdigitalgland.htm

" Interdigital Gland"

"This gland is located between the toes and is used for marking trails and locating other deer. It is said that because a fawn does not leave any scent the mother will keep tabs on the fawn by sniffing for this gland but, there is some debate about that. There is one thing that seems to be agreed upon and that is when a deer stomps the ground it is signaling to other deer that something is not right and at the same time it is leaving a scent that says danger to other deer.
Some of this makes a lot of sense to me and if you keep this in the back of your mind it could help you down th road."
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Interesting topic. I never thought about them leaving a "run long and run fast" scent on the ground when they are stomping. 

Where the heck is CA when you need him??
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:17 pm

I have heard the same thing about the "danger scent"!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 pm

its true according to peter fiducia 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:06 pm

I was told that same thing back in the day. But the same guys that told me that bought into a lot of old wives tales (slit the throat, they never look up, etc.)

Since I have never read anything about "fear scent" from any reputable publication or seen evidence of it in my hunting career, I consider it to be a tall tale.  

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:32 pm

I've seen plenty of deer stomp when they peg you.  Usually the head bob accommodates it just before they bolt.  I too have heard of this "fear" scent being emitted from between the front toes.  It's part of the reason I don't hunt a stand for a few days if I get busted in it.  
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:36 pm

I've heard of this "fear scent" also but my experience is that, when I am busted, it doesn't keep them away for a day or 2.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:10 am

I said It's part of the reason.  The other part is I don't want the deer to pattern me and avoid my stand.
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign