New rifle

highview72

RE: NEW RIFLE

Postby highview72 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:56 am

The 6.8 SPC probably wouldnt be a bad round but the Ranch Rifle itself is not known as a very accurate rifle. If you are going to go that route, i would spend a little more and look into and AR-15 style rifle chambered for .308 or 6.8 SPC. Otherwise if you are looking just to save weight, look into a bolt action.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:03 am

7.62X39 is bit light for deer at a distance. I won't call it anemic, but it functions on the light end of the 30-30's realm.

The 6.8mm Rem SPC is meant to function halfway between the 223 Rem (5.56 Nato) and the 7.62X39. 

Don't get me wrong.  You will find your share of successful deer hunters toting all three. The 6.8 Rem SPC is a necked down 30 Rem, and the .30 Rem has always been an underrated deer killer.

If it were me, and I was looking for a close-in deer rifle, I would be thinking a 44Mag.  The old Ruger 44 Mag semi was an awesome thing in its day. I was sorry to see Ruger take the updated Deerfield off its list.

I used to be a semi-automatic deer hunter.  I still keep a couple in inventory.  However, I have gone more towards levers and pumps. They are lighter to tote and easier to maintain.  I say that, and then look over at the M1 Garand on the rack, ready to go down to deer camp this weekend.

Let me throw some ideas at you:

[ul][*]Remington 7600 in one of its shorter incarnations-- 35 Rem, 308 Win, 300 Savage. This is the animal the Benoits carry.  I am very fond of mine.
[*]Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag[*]Browning BAR in 308 Win[*]Remington 1100[/ul]. . wait, what's a shotgun doing in there?  Listen, if you are hunting deep brush and are jumping big deer close in, a 12 Gauge Semi with slug provides utter devastation.  Just don't try to push it out further than it was meant to go.  However, that same warning could be said for the Ruger semis you're thinking.  I try to get out at least once a year with mine trying to put the sneak on in the dense cedars.

Just so you can gauge my biases: after 26 years in the woods and a couple dozen deer rifles, my ace #1 general purpose deer killer is a Savage 99 lever in 308 Win downloaded to shoot 300 Savage-esque loads.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:22 am

I agree with shaman that the Ruger ranch rifle isn't known for its' accuracy.  I carry a Remington 760 in the 308 were my cabin is located in Allegany County New York and a Remington 1100 20ga around my house which is shotgun only.  Semi-auto rifles can be weather finicky as far as reliable functioning.  I am a follower of the Beniots who use remington pump rifles exclusively.  If weight is really a problem and $$ no object I would look at a bolt action from New Ultra light arms in a caliber that will throw at least 120 grains of lead.  If $$ is a consideration then I opted for a remington model 7 in a 7mm-08.  Good luck.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:53 am

I have a Marlin 30-30 that will take down any deer with ease.  You can use the Remington Core Lokt for shorter shots or the Hornady LeveRevolution for long range shots.

If I were in the market now I would also look into the Marlin XL7 in .270.  It's the new bolt action from Marlin and reviews say it's of excellent quality and that it's a very accurate.  Best part is that it sells for less than $300 new.  Just Google the Marlin XL7 and read up on it before making a decision. 

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:00 am

if you're looking for a lightweight maneuverable rifle, go with a remington model 7. i have hunted in maine with one of these since i was 10. i use a .243, but want to get a .308 for a little more knockdown power. the model 7 is a bolt action; the "compact" version of a 700. mine is real accurate and me and others in my family have taken many deer with it. this gun has dropped several deer and 150+ yards, and none of us are sharpshooters by any stretch of the imagination. sure, you won't be able to fire as fast as you would with a semi or pump or lever, but if you feel like you need to take multiple shots, than you need to work on your accuracy. one shot is all it takes.
hope this helps you out
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

federali

Postby federali » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:55 am

I would agree with the posters here. I too have a Rem. Model 7, stainless/synthetic in 7mm-08, one of the all-time great whitetail deer rounds--kills them dead without punching you into a near-coma. However, if I was hunting thick woods, I'd probably leave the rifles in the safe and take my Ithaca Deerslayer II with rifled barrel, 1-4X scope and saboted slugs. The gun is light, maneuverable and fast-shooting. My slug gun is a legitimate 150 yard gun using Hornady slugs.

I also own a late 60s vintage Ruger .44 carbine that I've taken a bunch of deer with. Great rifle. Handles like an M-1 carbine but speaks with authority to maybe 125 yards or so. You can find most of them selling for around $550.00 give or take. You might luck into a private sale substantially under this price.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:34 pm

I'm not crazy about Ruger triggers. Howa is making a ranch gun now with a 20" barrel. http://www.legacysports.com/products/ho ... hland.html
I have a Hogue and love the accuracy and the trigger is easy to modify.

Montana

Postby Montana » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:24 pm

Stevens, which is part of Savage Arms, came out with the Model 200 a few years ago, which is a plain-jane version of the Savage Model 110. That rifle has always been known for it's accuracy and I have an M200 in .308 Win. and right out of the box it gave me 1" groups when I sighted it in. I used Remington 150 gr. core-lokt  factory ammo and have found no reason to change. It's a deer killer. My rifle cost $249.00 new, but the cost has gone up since then but is just over $300 now. I would try that. It's a sweet rifle.

Montana
NRA Life member

active NWTF member

saddletramp

Postby saddletramp » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:19 am

I'm brand new to these forums just registered today. But, I'll add my two cents worth. Depending on the area you hunt, should be a big part of the rifle you choose to take to the woods with you. At one deer camp i belong to it is heavily forested and most shots aren't usually over 100 to 150 yards. When I hunt here i usually take a lever action. My favorite two are my Browning Blr Light weight 81  chambered in 308 0r my winchester Model 94 .30.30 loaded with Hornady's Leverevolution 30/30 rounds. This in part because of the heavy cover and the quick handling of both for fast follow up shots if needed. In another area i hunt i have much more open country with some shots being a least 300 yds or better. Here I hunt with My Mauser Sporter in 7x57(7mm Mauser) 0r a Savage model 114 American Classic in 270. both are topped with Nikon 3x9x40 scopes with the bdc reticle. The Savage and the Mauser are both great deer killers out to 300 yds and more with the right ammo. Check out several you like before you buy and let the areas you hunt help you make your decision

8uck5nort

New rifle

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:49 am

While back I had posted about Marlin vs Puma lever action .44 mag. I am still wanting one, but have to put further down on the I want list due to funds. I also wanted to know what people thought of the H&R Handi-Rifle vs Rossi Single shots, and again in the .44 mag. This is looking like a more realisitic choice considering it will be roughly 300 cheaper and in my price range.

So which one. I have found a place that has a brand new H&R rifle for 259.00 and I found a Rossi for around the same amount on gunbroker.com. I would like to stay with .44 mag, but they have it in .357 mag as well. Thoughts? Pros/cons, experiences anyone?

Appreciate any and all feedback in advance.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Next

Return to Rifles