Hidden Funnels?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: Hidden Funnels?

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:22 am

ORIGINAL: djohns13

Great tips from everyone.  The only other item I would offer is to look at fencerows to find the section of fence that is knocked down or easiest to cross from one side to the other.  These areas will become a deer funnel as well.  Also, you can create your own funnel by opening a section of fence or other terrain.

Good shooting.

Those are good ideas, but just be careful about opening sctions of fence. Farmers build fences there for a reason, and opening them make cause some of their "reasons" to wander off.

Not a good thing to do if you want to continue hunting there! [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

speakerboxx

Postby speakerboxx » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:03 am

Maybe a Topographical map of the area you plan hunt would be a good start. At least get a basic layout of the land. As Woods Walker stated, time on foot is very important as well

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:59 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Welcome Woodswise,

Best advise I can give is, buy and read, Mapping Trophy Bucks, by Brad Herndon. Outstanding book, and it will not only help you identify all types of funnels, but it will teach you to scout from your kitchen table, using ariel photos as well as Topo maps.

The book additionally has bonus deer hunting tips that will help you further enjoy your time afield.

I think you`ll really find the book to be useful, and would love to hear what you think of it after you get thru it the first time.

Absolutely the hands down best book on hunting I've ever bought.  I've bagged more bucks after reading this book than any other and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Except a Honus Wagner rookie card I guess. LOL!! Seriously, read the book and you will understand how and why deer use every type of funnel whether it be hidden or other!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Woodswise

Postby Woodswise » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:04 pm

I have put too much time, sweat and blood into building fences to cut one, but I wouldn't mind watching a section that has a blow down on it. Also I think I will pay more attention to the fire lanes that have been cut through a section of 10 year old pines on the land we hunt. I used to still hunt'em, maybe I should be stand hunting them instead. 

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Rather than cut open a fence line for the Deer to cross simply find a section/area that you want the deer to cross where you plan on sitting or putting up a stand and pull the middle section down to the next strand of wire and tie it off so it is lower and the deer will naturally cross there.You can always un-tie it or cut the plastic zip tie so the wire goes back up.Another thing to do is to give the illusion that the other barb wires are higher by running string up the fence poll to give the appearance that there is another strand of wire there and leave 1 or 2 sections out where the deer would possibly jump and cross.If you want to make another natural crossing in a large open field is to leave area's of tall grass un-cut in strips where your stand is setting or where you want the deer to cross...or leave the field growed up in tall grass and mow pathes where you want the Deer to follow and walk. 

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:32 pm

i think all this fence talk is a waste.deer can easily leap over a typical fence.i seriously doubt they seek out a lower section to get from point a to point b
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

i think all this fence talk is a waste.deer can easily leap over a typical fence.i seriously doubt they seek out a lower section to get from point a to point b

Your point Joel, is correct.

However, if the terrain or some other factor is funneling deer towards a particular area that has a fenceline that they must cross anyway, modifying a particular section of that fence can put the deer in a better position for a shot. This would especially true for bowhunting, where the distance of a few yards can make all the difference in the world.

Deer are a lot like us, in that they will take the path of least resistance in a given situation, barring unusual circumstances, such as if they are being pursued, and then they will cross at the first available opportunity.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:59 am

That's true...We just had our land selectively cut last year.  I've actually made 'deer trails' for the deer by cutting trails through the tops that were down.  Also, on the fence lines I would pin down the wire to make it easier for the deer to cross where I wanted them to.  After looking at my 'work' at the end of this season, those trails are regularly used and they take those two or three areas along the fenceline where I pulled it down.  They do take the path of least resistance if they aren't pressured!

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:49 am

I've seen it many times where deer will go a fair amount out of their way to have an easier crossing of a creek, fenceline, ridge, etc.

When they feel safe, the path of least resistance is the way they go, just like us.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:08 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

Experience in Midwestern farm country has shown me otherwise. Not that deer cannot easily cross the fence, but trails do develop at low spots or holes.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices