Climbing Spikes

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
whitacl

Climbing Spikes

Postby whitacl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:57 am

Has anyone tried these Sport Climber Tree Climbing Spikes?  Are they too dangerous to use with a lock on stand.  I am really thinking about getting them to use instead of leaving steps all over the woods.
Ohio BBH

Woods Walker

RE: Climbing Spikes

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:51 pm

Back when I was younger, stronger, 20 pounds lighter, and a LOT dumber, I used to do tree work. I used climbing spikes and an arborist's harness to tie in with.

IMO, using sharp climbing spikes are NOT for amateurs. You can really hurt yourself, not to mention the tree. We only used spikes on trees that we were taking down, not on live trees that we were just trimming. A slip or a false move with those on can really cut you up but good. The ones we used had 3" gaffs on them, so you can imagine how deep they could go into your leg.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:28 am

I had posted a thread on this a little while back and after receiving many similar comments as the one from Woodwalker I opted against the climbing spikes..just seems too dangerous and not worht the risk.  I just bought a tree saddle and plan to preposition steps on trees.

lifeatfulldraw14870

Postby lifeatfulldraw14870 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:50 am

i personally believe that the climbing spikes are dangerous, also they are very hard to install and uninstall, the climbing sticks and stuf like them are much easier, faster and safer in my opinion.

Return to Tree Stands