Thompson center guns. What's all the hubbub?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
cdn1

Thompson center guns. What's all the hubbub?

Postby cdn1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:14 am

Just a question. What is the deal with the Thompson Center rifles in my 20yrs of hunting I cannot remember a  rifle so popular. Are they tring to cornner the hunting gun market? It seems that every hunting show or hunting professional is using one. I know they are a one gun battery but holly crap they are still single shots. Are they really that good or just alot of hype? I have no prejudice against them it just seems to me they are overly popular. Did Thompson center give them away for free to everyone on television? cdn1

deerhunter713

RE: Thompson center guns. What's all the hubbub?

Postby deerhunter713 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:11 am

I have a TC Pro Hunter.  The quality is outstanding and it is extremely accurate.  When you say "overly popular" does that mean they are they heavily advertised... yes they certainly are.  Thompson Center was bought by Smith & Wesson.  Does S&W have deep pockets for advertising... I'd say absolutely.  Are they selling more because of the advertising... without a doubt.  Would I trade my Pro Hunter for any other muzzleloader?  Not a chance.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 am

I had a T/C Encore in 30-06 and traded it because it kicked too much for me to enjoy.  The quality was fine and service was good too.  
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:43 am

I've been intrigued with these guns ever since they came out.  One thing I didn't know is that Smith and Wesson bought them.  I'm a big fan of S/W, as I have a 12 gauge model 1100 that has a peep sight on it that is deadly out to 100 yards (smoothbore).  This is one of the first guns I started hunting with when I was a youngn' and it has rarely let me down.  But back to the issue...I would also like to know anyone that shoots these guns to get some more info.  I'm also thinking of purchasing a T/C handgun as well...You can shoot these guns using rifle rounds in the shotgun only areas of WI as long as they meet the barrel requirements.  Yes, they are a single shot...But that's all you need right?!  [:)]

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:05 am

I've "invested" so much damn money in buying seperate guns for each season and what not that I can't afford to use one of these interchangeable gun or my wife would make me sell everything else I have gotten over the years.  I can hear her now, "if you've got one gun that fires three different rounds from it for each season, then why would you need any of the rest anymore". [:D]  Right now it just isn't feasible, but I would sure like to try one out some time such as the Encore or Pro hunter.  I do have a TC Hawken traditional and love the SOB
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:11 am

I've had my eye on TC Encore Pro Hunter for some time and will make the purchase shortly.  The allure for me is swapping out the barrels and having a rifle/ML/Shotgun all in one.  I'm not interested in having a gun collection..I already have a Marlin 30-30, a Ruger .45, and an M1 Garand..I need a shotgun and a muzzleloader and for the money and  I get the best of both worlds.  I'm satisfied with their quality, workmanship and accuracy, and equally confident in my own marksmanship skills that a single shot works for me.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:08 am

I purchased a .22-250 barrel for my Pro Hunter for ground hog hunting and I'm happy with it's accuracy with factory ammo.  The only complaint I have about the gun is the trigger is a little bit heavy.  Other than that, it is a great gun.  Ground hogs in the summer, 50 cal muzzleloader for gun season and ML season, and if I want to hunt elk sometime...I can get a barrel for it for a couple hundred chambered in an elk cartridge.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 am

ORIGINAL: cdn1

Just a question. What is the deal with the Thompson Center rifles in my 20yrs of hunting I cannot remember a  rifle so popular. Are they tring to cornner the hunting gun market? It seems that every hunting show or hunting professional is using one. I know they are a one gun battery but holly crap they are still single shots. Are they really that good or just alot of hype? I have no prejudice against them it just seems to me they are overly popular. Did Thompson center give them away for free to everyone on television? cdn1

It is called paid advertising and "promotional consideration."  If you notice TC has a spot on every show where you see their rifles being used.  Normal mortals, with a few exceptions, still seem to prefer rifles with magazines.

I'm sure that if I ever sold the idea of a "Hunting with the shaman" show, TC would be at my door offering me a free rifle or two. What's more, it would not benefit me any to actually show up with what I really hunt with: 

A Savage 99--Last 99 was made . . . ?
A Winchester 670-- The company's toast, the factory is closed. The name has been sold. The rifle itself was the low-end version they sold at K-Mart.
An M1 Garand-- Yep, I'm sure somebody is going to pay me to hunt with that.
A TC Hawken in .54-- no longer made
A Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen-- Remington!  There is one, but I don't think they're offering the 7600 in 35 Whelen anymore.

. . . so when I meet with the reps and start talking about a package, guess what?

When I show up with the cameras to hunt the REAL monster bucks, I'll be packing whatever the top bidder came up with. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:58 am

Well I guess I got my answer They are tring to corner the hunting gun market.LOL For me, I am still glad people make guns with more than single shot actions. I know it should never take more than one, but just in case[;)] its good to know I have one or two more right behind the first one.
For awhile there I thought that TC was sending subliminal messages to
the hunting celeberties that they were the only guns any one could
kill anything with. But I guess if I was getting $$$$ to use one I would too. cdn1

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:56 am

As far as their muzzle loaders go:  I personally found the gun to be a tad uncomfortable.  Their Omega with the thumb-hole felt better to me.  I'd love to get one but I've simply not been bitten by the muzzle loading bug. 

The interchangeability is a nice idea but I think I'd rather have a separate gun for the separate calibers.  That way I could tailor them to the caliber and purpose. 

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo