The Truth About Deer Lungs

Vital Information is an educational resource from Deer & Deer Hunting. The CD contains hunting wisdom about shot placement, biology, physiology and ethics. How has it helped your hunt?
Ben Sobieck

The Truth About Deer Lungs

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:33 am

Dr. Phillip Bishop refutes the claim there is dead space near a deer's lungs. Click here to read his article. What do you think about this?

Everyday Hunter

RE: The Truth About Deer Lungs

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:19 am

ORIGINAL: Ben Sobieck

Dr. Phillip Bishop refutes the claim there is dead space near a deer's lungs. Click here to read his article. What do you think about this?

Good article. Maybe what I think isn't all that important, but I think anyone who has done a few DIY butchering jobs would know there is no "dead space" near a deer's lungs.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 am

I would agree there is no dead space near a deers lungs. 

Unless I put an arrow through them.  [:)]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:56 pm

It is possible to put an arrow through the deer above the spine. Just a thought here, but perhaps people who have shot deer above the spine think they have hit below the spine, and therefore believe they've hit the so-called "dead space." (Sometimes people are unwilling to admit that they've made a bad shot.)

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Very interesting article Ben...I'd have to agree with the fact that there isn't dead space there.  It's a great science topic though!
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:34 am

I would agree, you can put an arrow through above the spine, I did that on the very first buck I shot.  Didn't kill it, and I'm 99% sure it survived.  I watched him run off with the arrow sticking out both sides above the spine.  Found the arrow about 100 yards away and searched high and low for the buck - no blood trail or anything else to follow.  Just came upon the arrow by grid searching in the general direction he headed.  I have no doubt it was only a flesh wound that either healed up or he ended up dead later during gun season when somebody shot him.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

RNC

Postby RNC » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:11 am

I have to agree there is no hallow spot above the lungs and below the spine. I shot a doe last fall on the folk's property. She knew something was up and was leaving the food plot. She gave me a shot at 30 yards, she jumped the string a bit and I hit her high. When I dressed her out I could see the arrow holes in the top of both lungs. I could also see where the broadhead clipped the spine.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Michael Stogre

Postby Michael Stogre » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:33 am

I agree. There is no void. The article is quite convincing.

MJS

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 pm

I will agree with everybody I have processed every deer I have ever shot,and there is no deadspace between the lungs.

R.J.

Postby R.J. » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:29 am

I dont think your test is or was very accurate. I feel like in most cases it is what u wish to believe. The heart and lung shot at the same time ok i'll go along with that one, unless it's a rare chest shot, that most shouldn't take.
I'm going to have to presume that you were hanging the deer head up, cause i've always cleaned one hine quaters up. and i've never seen what you are talking about. As far as the lungs adherring to the chest cavety, I think that sticky would be a better word. What do you think would happen if you stood the deer upright walking position and gave him or her an X Ray? I personaly think You might find your findings wrong. Sticky is different from something adhering to something, gravity is a factor., I'll keep my skepticism and my opinion.
As for learning from science? There is very little fact when it comes to science. Just a bunch of educated guesses. They got evolution wrong not one thing that they can prove. Not one...
As for the Dr. I find that most want to think that there smart when they use it. As for me I don't so if were going to use it then you can address me as
Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. R.J.
I believe there is a void.....I'll believe in my past experiences...

Next

Return to Vital Information