Wounded Deer Attacks Hunter Who Shot Him

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: Wounded Deer Attacks Hunter Who Shot Him

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:41 am

Safety tip: Never use the barrel of your gun to nudge ANYTHING! Get a stick if you need to poke the deer.

Personal experience: I once had a hand-to-hand (...er foot) battle with an adult gobbler. As God is my witness, it ended with a knife thrust to the top of the head (the turkey's). The exact details of the event can only be told in person, over a couple of drinks, but it was enough to convince me that I never want to tangle with any wild animal over 20 lbs again.

speakerboxx

Postby speakerboxx » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:55 am

My fathers friend had gotten a crop damage permit bout 10-11 years ago. Shot at and hit a deer, pierced it's ear a grazed it's head knocking it out I suppose. They walked up to it and it was flinching, dads friend slit it's throat I guess to finish it off.  The deer jumped up and ran about 50 yards with a knife in it's neck. Pop's friend killed that darn thing with a knife, the bullet just knocked it out i guess.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:13 am

Funny, I'd never heard that warning in relation to testing a deer-- always figured it was meant so that the rifle was at the ready and pointed where it should be.

I can believe your travails with a gobbler.  I used to work for a meat processor.  They hired convicts to hang turkeys. Those gobblers were perfectly capable of breaking your arm if you weren't careful.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 am

Yeah, if you think about how fast a deer can move there is no telling where the muzzle will be aimed when your finger actually squeezes the trigger. Not to mention that if you actually are able to get a round into the deer at point blank range, you run the risk of a barrel obstruction and bad, bad things.

I cannot say that the tom broke my arm, but he almost broke my will to live. I was a 17 year old linebacker and self-proclaimed tough-guy at the time. Faced with the same situation today, I would watch him run/fly away and go have a beer.

It's a great story. My best material.

Previous

Return to General Discussions