Summit Climber Slipping

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
mag30079

RE: Summit Climber Slipping

Postby mag30079 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:44 am

shadow

For what its worth, I was told that filing the paint off the teeth will help bite in to the tree. I see your point about the square teeth verses pointed. Give the file a try it's worth the 5 minutes

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:33 pm

I bought a Summit Bushmaster climber before they came out with the rapidclimb stirrups. Thinking it would make it easier to use, I bought a set of stirrups. I used them once before removing them because I didn't feel like I could control the stand as good as I could being strapped in. I've had no issues with the stand digging in, but maybe that's because of 230 lbs. of force pushing the teeth into the tree. If you pull the cable into the back of tree before seating the climber teeth, you "shouldn't" have any slipping.

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:38 am

I'll give the filling of the stand teeth a try and I too, have a problem with the foot stirups and know what you mean bowtechian, about not being able to control the stand with them, I'll remove them and see if that helps also.
If the filling of the teeth doesn't help, and it still feels unsafe to me.. I guess I'll get rid of it and look into something different.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:58 am

i dont have much to add here,but if your putting on any tree that has broken branch'nubs',that can represent a problem.each time your cable is on 1 of these bumps,it may not b securely in contact with the tree! when you add weight/ slippage!  i havent found a tree yet that was PERFECT,but those knots,nubs,bumps ,could b part of the problem,hope this might help-b safe--5BUCK

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 pm

Thanks jonny5buck, thats something to think about, I felt that by having the stand cable over one of the nubs, or knots, that I may be safer and not slip, haven't given any thought that it may also put the cable in less contact with the tree and taht it may actually promote it slipping. Thanks!

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:46 pm

I've been using a Summit Viper SS for 5 yrs. now and my only complaint is I should have got the Goliath instead. I'm 6'4"  250 , oh well, still love it.  I've never had a slip, and the reason the teeth are flattened is so it doesen't damage the tree and so it isn't to difficult to work the piece loose when climbing or descending.  I used to use an old Baker climber and it had pointed teeth, man that thing was scary to climb with on a smooth barked tree.  Practically out of energy just climbing 20 or so feet because of the difficulty removing the platform and top.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

want2hunt

Postby want2hunt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:28 pm

I've had the same slipping problem, I bought a summit bushmaster this year, it worked great early in the season but after it got cold (later November/December) it slipped pretty bad.

I'm going to try filing the paint off the teeth for next year.

shadow

Postby shadow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:05 pm

I believe I took care of the slipping issue with my Summit. By using ladder stands.
want2hunt, I noticed my slippage problems early in the season, September. if you were fine until Nov., could it be the tree was wet or had areas of ice on it?
Either way be carefull and use a harness on your way up.
I'll still use my Summitt i'm sure but I will try to file the teeth a bit so it gets a better bite and I will not use the foot stirups, I guess I've always had problems with those as well.

want2hunt

Postby want2hunt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:44 pm

I seemed to have more problems climbing smooth barked trees later in the season, I'm sure the colder semi frozen bark made it more difficult for the teeth to grab. It's a bummer because I like my stand but it just isn't as comfortable when it slips while climbing, once I get set it's fine though.

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:39 pm

I own the Summit Bullet backpacker and have had mild slippage. Only during wet and cold days, when the trees harden up and are smooth. If you want better teeth penetration you should have the stand at a slight DECLINE NOT UPWARDS!! I don't belieive I will ever stand hunt in the rain with the summit or during freezing conditions. Do not use smooth trees whatsoever!! For safety precautions I replace the cables every year. $20.00 from Summit. I have also noticed that going up is much easier. Most of all you must be comfortable and confident up there and put yourself in a position to truly enjoy the hunting experience.

Hunt On!

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands