2009 Hunting Fee Increases

ranwin33

2009 Hunting Fee Increases

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:30 am

[font=tahoma] [/font]
Hunting, fishing permit prices to increase in 2009 [/b]
The Conservation Commission considered the Consumer Price [/i]
Index and other factors in determining that an increase was needed.[/i]
JEFFERSON [/b]CITY[/b]-At its September meeting, the Missouri Conservation Commission approved price increases for most hunting and fishing permits and created a new permit for hunters who pursue snow geese and other "light geese" during the federally mandated Light Goose Conservation Action.
[font=times]The increases – the first for Missouri resident hunting and fishing permits in five years – will go into effect March 1, 2009. Conservation officials said the increases are based on changes in the Consumer Price Index, cost comparisons with surrounding states and citizen comments received during public deer meetings in 2008. [/font]
[font=times]"We want to keep resident permit prices as reasonable as possible," said Conservation Department Director John Hoskins. "When compared with other states, our prices tend to be in the middle to lower end of the scale."[/font]
[font=times]Besides the general cost of doing business reflected in the Consumer Price Index, Hoskins said new programs and enhanced services also add to the cost of conservation programs. These services include expanded youth education, dove-field management, winter fish stocking and assistance to private landowners. [/font]
[font=times]Permits included in the increases are:[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Hunting and Fishing, from $19 to $22[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Fishing, from $12 to $14 [/font]
Ø      [font=times]Daily Fishing, from $7 to $7.50[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Fishing, from $40 to $42[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Trout fishing, from $7 to $10[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Small-Game Hunting, from $10 to $12[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Fur Handler, from $10 to $11[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Trapping, from $10 to $14[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Cable Restraint, from $10 to $10.50[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Furbearer Hunting/Trapping, from $120 to $130[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Small-Game Hunting, from $75 to $80[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Daily Small-Game Hunting, from $11 to $20[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Migratory Bird, from $6 to $8[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Replacement Permit, from $2 to $3[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Spring Turkey, from $17 to $20[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Fall Turkey, from $13 to $15[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Spring Turkey, from $175 to $190[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Fall Turkey, from $105 to $110[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Archer's Deer/Turkey, from $19 to $23[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Firearms Antlerless, from $7 to $10[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Firearms Deer Hunting, from $17 to $20[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Managed Deer Hunt, from $17 to $20[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Firearms Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Firearms Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Archer's Hunting, from $150 to $225[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting, from $175 to $225[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Resident Archery Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $10[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Archery Antlerless Deer Hunting, from $7 to $25[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Landowner Spring Turkey Hunting, from $75 to $95[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Landowner Fall Turkey Hunting, from $50 to $55[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Landowner Archery Hunting, from $75 to $112.50[/font]
Ø      [font=times]Nonresident Landowner Firearms Deer Hunting, from $75 to $112.50[/font]
[font=times]Effective July 1, 2009, the Conservation Commission created a Resident ($5) and Nonresident ($40) Conservation Order permits for hunting light geese during the Light Goose Conservation Action. The extended season and liberalized harvest regulations for light geese is designed to reduce overpopulation that is causing ecological damage to the birds' tundra habitat.[/font]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

RE: 2009 Hunting Fee Increases

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:56 am

Ouch.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:59 am

That is a nicer word than I used.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

oneshot 1

Postby oneshot 1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Looks like I'm buying less Permits.

oneshot

saoirseglen

Postby saoirseglen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:15 am

Not included in that list is that in 2009 unless you own, not just lease as a resident or nonresident, you cannot obtain any free landowner hunting permits.

This means that anyone who had at least five acres of land could receive free permits to hunt upon that land. I cannot recall the leasing segment, but I think you could obtain landowner permits if you lived on the leased land.

Now all of that is out of the window. You must own 80 acres and you must give the MDC your township and range data so that they can verify it against the county plat records. This along with it costing more for permits makes a landowner, me, who owns less than 80 acres rather displeased.

I have heard it is all about the money. As in, they aren't getting enough to fund hunting, but they can spend millions on boondoggles for birdwatchers and other nonhunting projects. The MDC is operated now by a majority of nonhunters and nonanglers. If you care about hunting and being able to afford to hunt, I would say flood the MDC office and their regional offices with your views on the subject.

As for myself, I may have to rethink how much hunting I do as it will cost me even more to pay to play than it did before. I hunt for meat first, enjoyment second and if it is a trophy so be it.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:31 am

ORIGINAL: saoirseglen

Not included in that list is that in 2009 unless you own, not just lease as a resident or nonresident, you cannot obtain any free landowner hunting permits.

This means that anyone who had at least five acres of land could receive free permits to hunt upon that land. I cannot recall the leasing segment, but I think you could obtain landowner permits if you lived on the leased land.

Now all of that is out of the window. You must own 80 acres and you must give the MDC your township and range data so that they can verify it against the county plat records. This along with it costing more for permits makes a landowner, me, who owns less than 80 acres rather displeased.

I have heard it is all about the money. As in, they aren't getting enough to fund hunting, but they can spend millions on boondoggles for birdwatchers and other nonhunting projects. The MDC is operated now by a majority of nonhunters and nonanglers. If you care about hunting and being able to afford to hunt, I would say flood the MDC office and their regional offices with your views on the subject.

As for myself, I may have to rethink how much hunting I do as it will cost me even more to pay to play than it did before. I hunt for meat first, enjoyment second and if it is a trophy so be it.

As a Missouri resident with less than 80 acres you will be paying $10 for an antlerless tag and $20 for an any deer tag.  That's still a pretty exceptional deal in my book. 
Aldo Leopold

saoirseglen

Postby saoirseglen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:27 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

As a Missouri resident with less than 80 acres you will be paying $10 for an antlerless tag and $20 for an any deer tag.  That's still a pretty exceptional deal in my book. 

I started my hunting as a landowner when one needed to make a farm tag to take it to the check station. No cost to anyone.

If the MDC wants to single out a subset of landowners, then I will be strongly recommending to the MDC that NO landowners have free tags. If the MDC wants to make Missouri more like Kansas, might as well make it cost ALL landowners the same and make no exceptions, including eliminating all landowner tags. While we are at it, if they also need money, then eliminate the resident hunter designation of out of state students as well and raise out of state hunting rates for all hunters by at least 50 percent if not 100 percent.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:38 am

...raise out of state hunting rates for all hunters by at least 50 percent if not 100 percent.

They just did that. I guess great minds think alike.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:01 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

...raise out of state hunting rates for all hunters by at least 50 percent if not 100 percent.

They just did that. I guess great minds think alike.

Saiorseglen - it's still only $30 for two tags.  If thats going to break your bank, then maybe you need to get a second job and worry less about hunting.  I hate to sound callous here, but c'mon - it's $30 for two tags.  That was less than half a tank of gas just a couple of months ago.

JPH - Yeah, you're getting hit hard with the 45 acres AND being out of state - looking at $500 for archery and gun season if you get anydeer and an antlerless tag.  That just does not seem right. 

I wouldn't mind the rate increase so much since we own 100 acres - looking at $275 next year for tags I paid $164 for this year, because I do believe MDC does good work and with cost share we probably make the money back, but my brother who lives in Missouri and owns the same land I do gets his tags for free, well that just gripes my soul.  Shoot, I'm the one who even pays the taxes.  I need to talk to him about that - [:@].

Unfortunately I think us non-resident landowners are going to be on the short end of things since we have no vote and carry no weight in the state. 

Aldo Leopold

saoirseglen

Postby saoirseglen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:28 am

My complaint is not cost as much as principal. It is the fact that a landowner with less than 80 acres is now viewed as not worthy of the same no-cost permit next year that I was worthy of this year, just because I don't have land enough to meet their idea of the "worthy."

Even Kansas charges ALL landowners for permits. To me it is now saying that only landowners with 80 acres should have free permits. Why not simply remove the distinction and charge ALL landowners, regardless of numbers of acres? All the MDC wants is more money so why not just drop the pretense and charge every person that is a resident, landowner or not, the same permit price? I have seen farms on four acres and I have seen untouched tracks that are larger than 80 acres yet the free tags are supposedly for "farms" and "farmers."

As for out of state hunters, I think the fee should be closer to $400 if not $500 for antlered deer hunting with a $300 per deer doe permit.

What I thought made Missouri nice, at least when it came to hunting, was that most landowners enjoyed an extra reward for building wildlife habitat, farmer or not. Now I see that with the move to trophy deer management being the new paradigm we need to change with the times. So be it.

Next

Return to Missouri