Where should i go

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dxthunter57

Where should i go

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:07 am

I found dynamite spot last night
there are trails every where
there are power lines than woods than i tiny filed of standing corn behind that is tall grass and pricker bushes about 1 ft to 3 ft tall easily u can see a deer in there
were should i go i was thinking of a stand on the edge of the corn were i can see the field with short grass in it i can watch 2 out of the three good spots

beagleman23

RE: Where should i go

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 am

Need more information.  I know you indicated a food source but deer sometimes overlook standing corn because, believe it or not, it takes time and effort for them to 'husk' a cob of corn to get to the kernels.  They much perfer cut corn grabbing the spilled grain and partial cobs.  You indicate tall grass and briars that could be used as security cover for bedding or they could be forced through this area because of hunting pressure.  You need to find out when the deer are passing through the area on these trails.  You can do so by trail cameras, scouting new snow and aging any tracks you discover or simply placing a tree stand that affords you the best view of the whole area with a favorable wind.  I have found very promising areas with a ton of sign only to find that it's all night activity.  After you narrow down when they're using the area and how they enter and exit you can place a more permenant stand or stands based on wind.  Good luck.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:30 am

well all three of these spots are being used mostly at night because there is a huge field right before the standing corn( which i think they areusing as cover) and to get to the field
the little field is right in between there bedding area and the standing corn i know that for sure because i have multiple pictures of bucks annd does at night and morning

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:52 am

If they are using it as bedding/security cover and entering/exiting before and after dark there are alternative ways to hunt if stand hunting is not effective.  My son and I routinely use 'little pushes'  to move deer from one area to another possibly resulting in either the stander or the pusher a shot opportunity.  We don't engage in traditional drives which usually move deer to fast.  We basically just try to nudge them.  In this last two seasons alone this techique has accounted for two bucks being harvested, two being missed and numerous doe tags being filled.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 am

beagleman23
i will definatly try that later on in the year

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:41 am

Id get a stand up by the standing corn now, you may not see much now but if they cut it before hunting season is up you should be in good shape with other food sources dying off.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:12 am

If you are gun hunting find a location where you can cover the most territory.  If you are bow hunting set up near where you see a convergence of trails and try to get an idea from what direction they are coming, then move accordingly in later hunts so you can get to them before daylight ends.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to General Discussions